Component AV from PS2??? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Dec 29, 2005.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    For under $15, I can get a Component AV cable for my PS2 that would go into my home theater system. To my understanding, this gives a more crisp picture quality from the PS2 out...

If my tv doesn't have a component in, am I wasting my money on getting this cable? What if my tv has an S-Video, would that be better than the standard RCA into the tv (Video and Audio L/R)?

I'm new to this stuff and don't have the slightest idea as to what i'm doing. Kind of reminds me of my bass playing. :D
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    S-video is better than RCA cables. Component cables are better than s-video. Think of it this way.....Hartke to Ashdown to Eden. :D

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe that you can get an adapter at Best Buy (or something like it) that goes from the Sony playstation output to an S-video connection for your TV's Input. I think it's reletively cheap, too. This is a better connection than regular RCA's (white, red (audio L+R) and yellow(video)). If you can, use the digital outputs from the playstation into a Dolby Digital reciever and speakers. Playing games in 5.1 surround is awesome!
  4. I use component out on mine, the difference between it and S-Video on most games is negligible. On the few games that will use the HD modes (like Star Ocean: Till The End of Time) it does make a nice difference. You do need to set the system configuration on your PS2 to actually use the component out properly though.