Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Component AV from PS2??? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Dec 29, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    For under $15, I can get a Component AV cable for my PS2 that would go into my home theater system. To my understanding, this gives a more crisp picture quality from the PS2 out...

BUT...

If my tv doesn't have a component in, am I wasting my money on getting this cable? What if my tv has an S-Video, would that be better than the standard RCA into the tv (Video and Audio L/R)?

I'm new to this stuff and don't have the slightest idea as to what i'm doing. Kind of reminds me of my bass playing. :D

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    S-video is better than RCA cables. Component cables are better than s-video. Think of it this way.....Hartke to Ashdown to Eden. :D

-Mike

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe that you can get an adapter at Best Buy (or something like it) that goes from the Sony playstation output to an S-video connection for your TV's Input. I think it's reletively cheap, too. This is a better connection than regular RCA's (white, red (audio L+R) and yellow(video)). If you can, use the digital outputs from the playstation into a Dolby Digital reciever and speakers. Playing games in 5.1 surround is awesome!

4. I use component out on mine, the difference between it and S-Video on most games is negligible. On the few games that will use the HD modes (like Star Ocean: Till The End of Time) it does make a nice difference. You do need to set the system configuration on your PS2 to actually use the component out properly though.