1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Composer : Double-stops 6ths, 10ths, 7ths

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by vhollund, Dec 12, 2016.

1. vhollund

vhollund

Dec 12, 2016
    Hello ! :)

I have composed a long piece for double bass, that contains some 6ths 7ths and 10ths plucked simultaneously without open strings
    Can you refer me to a double bass player who does that a lot or
    am i pushing the boundaries for what is ergonomically possible ?

As it says I'm not a contrabassist, but a composer, however please bare in that I am a guitarist and electric bass player since 25 years, when answering.
    Thanks in advance, I hope to hear from you
    (We have rehearsals friday)

Vaughn

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Depends on the tenth.... Probably ok if it can be played on the E and G strings

3. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    could be too far a stretch if the 10th isn't available in a close enough position

4. It's possible to do more of that with the proper Scordatura.

5. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Five-string players have a lot more of this easily available.

6. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    check out some adam ben ezra. a bit more percussionly then harmonic but cool stuff
    extensions are possible depending on the fingering. dont get too low or they sound like mud.

7. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Sorry for the delayed reply. The technical issues where I have been unable to post have been resolved.
    Rufus Reid was the first bassist I heard playing various 10ths and other double stops in the jazz area. He details some of these in his classic book "The Evolving Bassist". Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Mark Dresser, and several others also inspired me with chords on the bass. Here is a the tune "Lover Man" where I use many different intervals including harmonics.

8. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Wow - great playing there!

9. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Thank you Joshua!