Composer Pro setup questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Dec 29, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just got a Behringer Composer pro compressor for christmas and I am trying to figure out all the knobs and settings. Compression is a new thing to me. I plan to run it in the effects loop of my SWR SM500.

-should I set the back switch to 4db or -10 since it is in the effects loop?

-what is the sidechain all about? I assume it is like another effects loop and I guess if I don't use it the SC filter and other SC buttons don't really work?

-The expander/gate section just seems like a noise surpressor, I have a hard time understanding the fast and slow response times, I doubt I'll use the part of it, but you never know.

-do you typically set the compression section to auto or manual for best results?

Please let me know what settings you use and how things work with each other in a bass application. The manual has some minor instruction, but it doesn't really get into everything as deep as I like.

2. If it's in the effects loop set the switch to -10.

If you don't have the compressor in a sidechain the SC buttons won't work.

I use mine in the effects loop with channel A feeding channel B. Channel A is set with a slow attach time and a soft limit and channel B has a hard limit and fast attack time.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Where do you set the knobs for the "double" setup?

Also does anyone else have any thoughts on knob settings (and explainations of functions in relation to bass) for just using 1/2 of the unit.

4. Like I said, I have the output of channel 1 feeding the input of channel 2. Here's a good starting point - thanks to my buddy subsonicbass:

Both channels:

Expander Gate -
    Threshold = -35
    Ratio = 2.5
    Expander/Gate Release = Slow

SC Filter = On

Auto = Off

I/O meters set to OUTPUT

Channel 1:

Interactive = Off
    Threshold = 12:30
    Ratio = 2.5 to 1
    Attack: 9:00
    Release = 9:30
    Peak Limiter = 2:00
    Output = 12:30 to 2:00 depending on feed gain.

Channel 2:

Interactive = Off
    Threshold = 2:30
    Ratio = 6 to 1
    Attack = 7:00
    Release = 12:00
    Output = 2:30 max
    Peak Limiter = 2:00

hth -
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    does the SC filter do anything if you aren't using the side chain? I noticed you metioned having it set to ON.

6. It's just a high-pass filter. It won't hurt anything leaving it on and may (or may not) help :)
  7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Hey KB,do you feel the Composer Pro adds a lot to the sound of the SM500?I'm trying a Digitech Bass Squeeze with my SM400S right now and i'm thinking on taking it back.It seems to squash the lows too much even when set at a minimum.It does increase the headroom on the amp but I find that I like the tone alot better without it.Will I get better results with a different compressor like the Composer Pro?Oh yeah, how much did you pay for it?
  8. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I haven't noticed any problems with the lows. I just need to get the knobs adjusted right for the right compression. Compression is still a new thing for me, but so far I notice more definition in my sound.

I don't know the cost (I got it for xmas) but I assume my Dad paid about $80 for it as he got it from MF.