1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Composing and recording instrumentals? FruityLoops?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Hello TBers,

I want to start composing my own instrumental songs that will certainly have good basslines, but won't necessarily be the focus of every song. I do want to feature other instruments like drums, guitars, violins, pianos, etc, but do not have the free time to learn how to play any of these instruments.

I have been a user of Fruityloops for many years, but never took the time to really get to know the software. When I got it, it was like version 1 where you just had .wav files of a couple of different instruments, and you had 16 boxes and you just clicked where each instrument should be played and its note.

I see videos all the time where FruityLoops has evolved so much and can compose songs that now sound somewhat professional grade (for pop songs anyway), but I'm still using it the same way that I always have, which I know is hardly how anyone uses it anymore, plus the chords through this old method sound atrocious.

I'd really like to start composing instrumental songs using some sort of decent software (because I don't have the time to master another instrument, even a keyboard).

Is it worth the time to learn how to use the newer techniques of Fruityloops properly? Or do you know of another software or method that would be beneficial to me?

Thank you,

Matt

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    FL is very powerful and is worth learning how to use it in and out, but there are some things that other programs can help with.

Give Band in a Box a try. It does do loops now also. Or you can use it with FL, or any DAW

Get a good set of tracks. Then go back and add your own, ore recompose the ones BIAB creates. or picks some loops and drag them in.

3. js1268

js1268

Dec 14, 2008
    spend the extra dough, and buy a pro-tools M-box

get a cheap 1 octave keyboard and some drum tracks from 'drumsondemand.com' ...and have at it

trust me, you won't regreat it

4. I'm with seamonkey, you already got FL studio (aka fruity loops), you seen what it can do. You should be able to get free upgrades for your version (there's 4 versions) if you bought a license. Samples and VSTs are plentiful and free.

I use FL studio 10 Producer version and it's got everything. I also use Ableton Live which is completely different from FL studio.

5. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    FL Studio is certainly worth learning. The reason it seems so complicated is because it can do so much. But really after you start going through some Youtube tutorials and figuring out which VSTs you prefer, it starts to make a lot more sense really quick. The VST's are there, afterall, to allow you to make better music in a simpler fashion from the older versions/old sampling programs. I'd definitely recomend just putting in a little time learning, as I think it will allow you to do exactly what you're looking to do.

6. IK Obi

IK Obi

Apr 4, 2011
    FL Studio is a REALLY powerful DAW that is easy to get started with. People think its not up to snuff with the others, but if you watch a few YouTube tutorials on it I think you'll get the jist of how to use it pretty quickly. I personally love Reaper, but for groove based stuff FL is great.

7. Thanks everyone, I did update my FL and watched some tutorials. I'm actually pretty amazed with it. All of my issues were resolved. I never ever used the piano roll feature until today. The chords sound a lot better and I can actually determine the exact length of the note, which I wasn't able to do when I just threw some .wav files every where.

8. emendez

emendez

Dec 21, 2007
    I liked what I saw... Thanks.. I just went on line and purchased Band in a Box.. Going to give it a try... I've been wanting to start a desktop studio.. Any recommendations on speakers/Monitors and connections options for my Bass and Guitar.. I will start with my everyday laptop but plan to purchase a dedicated workstation for the studio..

Thanks guys..

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's a great tool. And don't forget that if it doesn't work out they will give you your money back. I doubt you'll be asking for it.

You may or may not need a recording interface for your laptop. It depends on how good of soundcard it has built in.

For your home studio, I don't think you can beat PCI/PCIe audio interfaces. No cable protocols like USB and Firewire, and they seem to give you more bang per buck.

Although the line 6 interfaces include POD Farm which is actually a very good amp/cab modeling package.

A USB line 6 would be a good deal with the POD Farm for both laptop and beginning workstation.

Monitors, I use home stereo speakers. and mainly headphone, earbuds. If I were to get powered monitors I'd probably go with one of these
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=truth
    or something on sale.

10. emendez

emendez

Dec 21, 2007
    I got the BIAB so far I love it... I went with the M-Audio interface... Then found that it's not totally compatible w/Band In The Box. I called BIAB support and they said that their policy is not to recommend third party interfaces.. Anyway.. The M-Audio came with Pro Tools SE which I really like... I guess I will fiddle with both Apps... I'm using a computer monitor, but will eventually purchase a studio monitor and a Midi keyboard.. I'm Doing some research on the M-Audio USB midi keyboards..

11. emendez

emendez

Dec 21, 2007