Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Composite fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Aug 16, 2003.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Greetings bassfreaks!

i recently purchased a '95 modulus q5 (from a TBer) and I'm reworking a lot of the bass and replacing the old parts with new parts as well as giving the instrument a visual and tonal facelift. i was curious if there is any treatment that should be used on a composite fingerboard? i know that raw linseed oil is good for adding moisture into a wooden board, but i have no experience working with a composite (graphite) board such as the one found on my new/old Q5. any and all help is appreciated!

thanks!

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't know of any kind of treatment that would be needed for a composite board, which is part of the benefit of one, as I understand it. I could be wrong on this though.

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Can anyone verify that this is true? It makes sense, but if there is anything that I can do to keep my bass in better shape and make my bass perform better, I'd love to know!

Thanks for any and all advice.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Oils and waxes in all wood tratments do one thing and only one thing. They fill the pores of the wood to replace the moisture that evaporates out of the pores. Oils penetrate and waxes work nearer the surface.

Since graphite has niether pores nor moisture content, it would be sort of useless to treat it.

Pkr2

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That is what I thought....does anyone know for sure?

6. The graphite can't absorb any of the oil, so using it won't do anything. Pkr2 does know for sure!

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Thank you.:confused:

8. is that a good or a bad thing?