1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Composite Thunderchild TC 212 and amp pairing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rjmsteel, Jan 24, 2017.

1. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    After reading earlier posts (from 2014) on the subject; what is in your opinion/consensus with pairing the GK MBFusion 800 with the Thunderchild TC 212?

FWIW: Driven by an Alembic Series bass.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    As one who once owned a Thunderchild TC112 v1, a TC115 composite, and currently owns a GK MB800, I can only surmise that the pairing will sound very nice indeed. If you choose to go that route, I think you will be very happy with the results.

MM

3. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Thanks MM. The new head would replace my Eden WT550, which obviously comes in at a...... 20 lbs.
    The Eden is decent but it seems dialing it in can be a chore on a gig. Not that dealing with rooms is not hard enough.

4. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I have the Composite TC212 and I have used quite a few amps thru it over the years. The absolute best bass cab I've ever owned. I have only had one I didn't like the sound of and that was the TC BH800. It was just a very bland sound. The following amps sounded good in my opinion and any of them would do the trick. As you can see I like to play with equipment.

GK MB800 - Loud raw power with some grit. Good match. The MB Fusion 800 would probably be good as well.
    Demeter VTBP-M-800D - Excellent amp. The cleanest amp I've ever played. Too nice for me.
    MB Big Bang - Good sound and easy to dial in. I like MB amps.
    Markbass Mono Multiamp - Which I still use occasionally.
    Genzler Magellan 800 - I liked it but the Mesa won me over.
    Mesa D800 - Currently my go to amp.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    mam1862: Thank you: A really informative reply to my question. As far as the Demeter goes, aside from the higher price tag, the idea of running an amp as clean as the Demeter with my already pure/clean output of my Alembic and Alembic filters is just too much of a good thing:)

Glad to hear the TC 212 is liked by others. Did Mike make your cabinet?

The Mesa sounds good too, although I would need the larger subway model (+ model) as I sometimes use an extension 15" cabinet driven by a power amp and fed through the effects loop on my Eden.

Again Thanks!

6. mam1862

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Yes. Mike made mine. It was one of the last ones he made.

The Mesa D800 has the same power as the plus. I think the only difference is the eq section.

7. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    I would be cool without the additional eq section, but the plus additionally is built with send/ receive inputs and outputs on the rear panel, hence my description of the routing on my (current) Eden to my Crown power amp for the extension cab.

I think I remember Mike talking about his final composite construction being built.... which may have been yours.

8. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Also, (1862), are you plugging any of the TC 212 ports?

If plugging what method/material do you plug them with?

9. mam1862

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I plug the middle port. I use the plugs (3) that came with the cab.

10. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Thanks.

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Here's what they originally came with: Test-Tite Test Plug, Mechanical, T-Cone, 3 In 86390 | Zoro.com

If you plug just one port, at gigging levels, I recommend plugging the middle one. If you plug two ports, again at gigging levels, plug the top and bottom ones.

wave rider likes this.
  12. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Thank you Duke!!

I think Mike was out of stock of the plugs, (cannot remember for sure), when I picked up the cabinet from him.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  14. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Thank you, PW!
    I will checkout my local HD.

15. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    In that case, my bad for not providing them! Shoot me your address and I'll send them to you.

james condino likes this.
  16. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Duke whats the porting preferences on the Hathor 1855 ?

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  17. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    If you plug two ports, plug them on a diagonal.

The ideas I try to follow are: If possible, maintain an even airload on the back of the cone, and if possible, have at least one port open higher than the magnet and one port open lower the magnet to encourage "chimney effect" cooling. Obviously if one or three ports plugged is what sounds best in a given situation, then you that's what you use.

foderaman likes this.
  18. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have the 4-ohm TC115 and TC112, and had a composite wide 115 for awhile. There isn't a lot that would not sound great with these cabinets. My favorite amps with these have been Thunderfunks - currently a 750 brought up to 800 spec. I briefly auditioned a GK MB800 and thought it was really great, especially for rock, but I wasn't working that vein at the time. As time goes on (and as I find myself playing more in a Rock vein in my current band), I'd steer clear of amps that go too far on the warm, smooth side of things. Truthfully, I find the Mesa Subway 800 (I have the 800+) oriented in that direction. Have also had good results with old Genz Benz heads (Shuttle 6.2, 9.2, and hulking old GBE600) and would also expect the Genzler to work well. Also worked OK with old Mark Bass Little Mark, but I'd come to prefer the Genz Benz, particularly on fretless. Also should add that I never had the composite and non-composite 115 side by side, but suspect that the composite version was a tad brighter, faster, more articulate on attacks, so perhaps more forgiving of an amp that is on the warm and spongy side.

james condino likes this.
  19. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Yeah JB,
    That is some of my concern with the "too" warm amps as I would prefer a faster attack for the style our band performs, (Funk, R & B and Classic Rock) with trumpet, keys, kit & guitars, and I prefer.

I am always pursuing a punchy slap (compressed like) tone complimented by a robust finger style tone out of my Alembic which can be frustrating at times at practice and live (I know I am opening a can of worms here), essentially like everyone else here.

The GK almost seems to lean toward a pure Rock style, but I could be wrong about that. They have the Genzler amp in stock locally at one dealer and the Mesa at another.

The Thunderfunk amps are made here locally I believe but the weight and size is comparable to my current Eden head, albeit finer.

20. I never get the whatcabwithwhatamp? thing. You can try out any of the last years' amps from the classifieds and flip until you find the one. You will still be up on buying new.