Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Composition forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by moley, Dec 27, 2002.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A suggestion for a new forum - Composition [BG] - for all things to do with composing/songwriting (regardless of instrument) - i.e. approaches to composing, a place where TB'ers could get help with writing, ideas, suggestions etc.

Maybe there isn't a need for it, or maybe this is just GI territory - but I think it could be good, what do you guys think?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's a good idea, I like it better than band management/performance... that forum is just like gig stories/misc combined... I don't dig it so much. But I don't know how well composition would go over. I can only think of a few questions anyone would ask/discuss.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The Composition forum could also be a place where people can post recordings and/or scores/tabs of their own compositions for help, constructive criticism etc. While the Recordings forum is perhaps geared towards existing recordings, this forum could cater for TB'ers own compositions?

I'd be happy to moderate it.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    oooh, with further explanation... I do like the sounds of it a lot. I give you permission to start it! :)

5. Nice idea, although I would call it Composition/Songwriting[BG]

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, or maybe Composition & Songwriting [BG]. I reckon the & looks better than the slash ;)

I reckon it could work. Paul, what d'ya think?

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Any support? C'mon guys...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I'd rather have a more general "Theory" forum which could include aspects of composition under this heading.

I think that there are likely to be a very limited number of questions/discussions just on this and really what people will be asking is to do with Music Theory - I think a Theory forum is needed and that this ought to be a higher priority and could also state that it includes questions about or related to Composition.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, for theory, we've already got GI, and Mike Dimin's.

The idea was that not only would it pertain to questions about composition from a theory perspective, but also a place to post recordings of TB'ers' compositions for suggestions/constructive critisism, or simply to let other TB'ers hear their work.

Arguably we've already got forums that *could* cover the kind of thing I'm talking about - it's really about specializing - as was the case with Band Management & Performance. I think we've already got theory covered - but no specific composition forum. And I think composition is a very important aspect of music and bass playing.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It could work. Are there a number of recent threads you reckon would fit? Or are you working on a 'build it and they will come' basis?

Wulf

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A bit of both really. Just this morning, for example, I saw a thread in Bassists (what it was doing in there, I don't know) in which someone was asking for advice on a fragment of a bassline they had come up with, and how to make a proper bassline of it. (As I said in that thread) This is a perfect candidate for the proposed forum. Also, there have been a number of threads in Recordings in which people have posted their own compositions (I know Matt has, for one ;)).

And also, I think maybe having a specific forum for composition might encourage people to discuss it more.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    OK, here are couple of relatively recent potential candidates...

What could you bassists do with this... (the one I mentioned above)
    Some New Sutff!!
    Check out our demo!!!
    Starting work on a bass solo album... (not wishing to poach from Lawson & Manring though ;))

There have been plenty like these in the past too, I think.

And like I said, I'd also like to promote discussion. I know there are plenty of TB'ers out there making their own music.

Obviously it's not gonna be the busiest forum, but I think it could be good.

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd certainly keep an eye on it, so I guess that could count as a vote for the idea :D

Wulf

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Good! Cheers, wulf.

I've just had a thought, it could include arranging too? Composition & Arrangement [BG]. Thus, including questions about arranging for different instruments e.g. "Here's my version of Stairway To Heaven for Tuba, Clarinet, and Triangle, criticism please!" ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think this is right - GI is not explicitly about Theory and to me sounds more like it covers teaching and issues around basic tuition.

I actually think that we need an explicit "Theory" forum, more than one called "General Instruction" - but definitely more than we need a composition one!

I don't think you can include the pros forum in this, as their commitments often mean they are away - but there are always lots of people like Jazzbo, Chris F etc who can get involved in Theory debates.

I would say that an explict Theory forum is a higher priority - especially if it can be used by both BG and DB sides. I would then say if this got a lot of composition-related threads, then break it out of there.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah and people still won't listen to our new song! :mad: hehe, it's awful so I don't really care. :)

17. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    It'd be helpful to everyone in a way...I dig it

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    BUMP! Support...?

19. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    That would be the best idea I've heard all year :D

PS> Can I be a mod now. I have no money for bribes so youll just have to choose me for my extremly large........frets.

Lukas

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Cheers ashton :)

Mods are for Paul to decide, but maybe he'll let you co-moderate it with me :D