1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Composition Help!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by adriank2011, May 12, 2011.

1. adriank2011

adriank2011

May 12, 2011
    Hi,
    Preforming a composition on Monday, it needs to be about a minute long.
    In a bit of a rush, so I hope that this makes sense. So far I have: (all on the E string frets) 4 string Bass
    0 0 5 3, 0 0 7 5, 0 0 10 12, 10 10 10 12
    0 0 5 3, 0 0 7 5, 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10. Pretty bad, I know.
    ANY help would be greatly appreciated as I am terrible at making up my own music.
    Thanks so much
    Adrian.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Adrian,

solo composition is a world apart from the normal bass role in a band, so I'd probably suggest starting out learning a few of your favourite melodies. Probably best to avoid ones written and played by bassists at this stage just so that you can think about melody as distinct from the instrument it's played on.

As you learn a few tunes, you'll hopefully start to absorb shapes that resonate with you - take them, change bits of them, allow them to evolve into new things, combine unlikely elements to make something new.

Good luck!

Steve
    — Steve Lawson: Bass 2.0 — the soundtrack to the day you wish you'd had