Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Composition Royalties and promo clips...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BIg O, Aug 19, 2003.

1. I did a few searches, but couldn't find anything specific on this topic.

So we have just finished our first CD of Blues and R&B covers; we intend to sell this during our gigs.

We have paid the royalties for the mechanical repro side of things, so for that we are covered.

However, we would like to post partial clips of a couple of the tunes on our website to promote sales of the CD. Does anyone know the current legal rulings on this in North America? Remember that the mechanical royalties have been paid, and the purpose of the partial clips is merely to promote additional CD sales, for which the writers have already been paid or will be paid if a new pressing is required.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions out there, but I'm looking for hard knowledge or experience. I know a number of TBers have covered others' material on their CD's, and may have come across this issue.

Any input, guys? (and ladies, of course!)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If I remember correctly, if the clip is a certain length, you don't need to pay anything, regardless, It might be 12 seconds, but I can't remember the exact number, It's been a while since I studied these things.