Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compound radius fretboard questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by takeout, Dec 27, 2002.

1. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Hi all- hoping someone will weigh in on this...

I'm in planning stages right now, and am considering the benefits/drawbacks to having a compound radius board. Questions:

1. How to do it? Tips or tricks, pitfalls to avoid, etc.?

2. Do they work on basses? Is it worth the hassle?

I'm sure I'll think of more; I'll edit accordingly as they come to me.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    David King puts a compound radius on all his basses. He feels that it is the most comfortable design.

He uses a 48" belt sander, I believe, to do the job. I wouldn't want to do it by hand, which is why I don't do a compound radius.

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Compound radii are tricky. I sanded every neck that I fretted at Suhr Guitars by hand on a 6"x86" belt sander. That was about 1000 plus necks. They all had compound radii.
    On my own basses I almost always try to talk the customer into a compound radius. I think this makes the left hand root position more comfortable. It also makes the right hand more even with less elevation change between strings, and I personally like this.
    I usually use a low ange block plane to rough out the radius, starting at the ends with the correct respective radii. Then when I get a little closer I use a long flat block with 60 grit paper to refine it even more. From there it's just a matter of moving up through the grits and continuously checking your progress with gages and a straight edge.
    Eventually I plan to make a jig to sand them on the belt sander. That should speed things up considerably.
    Good luck.