Comprehensive 'Road Amps' thread (the company)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Against Will, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Okay, so I've done a search and noticed that there are barely any threads dedicated to "Road amps", Road the company, not amps to take out on the road on tour.

Road amps was started in the early 1970's, got sold to a series of different music companies, ended up with Rickenbacker where it eventually died. Apparently, Road was the first amps that KISS used.

I got a Road 440 amp off of Ebay. Partially because it was just under $200 for a vintagey amp that could handle 4 ohms. Not bad. I also ordered a Avatar B112 delta to go along with it.

So far here's what I have to say:

-heavy as ****
    -Not clean sounding at all

-Built like a tank, Road amps supposedly have a reputation of being able to be operate even after being run over and dropped off buildings. I believe it.
    -I like dirty amps
    -switchable graphic eq

More in-depth thoughts in the coming weeks, and hopefully some sound clips as well.
  2. How much power and what tubes are in it?
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Not sure what kind of tubes. It's in this sort of rack case that I guess they were all built into and I've wary about taking it apart. When I put a pick up you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for wattage, that I don't know either, info on Road amps is scarce at best and the guy I bought it from didn't know either. I'd say it's around 200 watts, but I just pulled that out of nowhere. It powers the 112 fine, though there's some distortion when I lay into it.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I had a Road 2/15 cabinet in the early 80's. It was nice from what I remember. It was certainly built like a tank.
  5. Barnabas

May 17, 2009
    I believe that the Road 440 is solid state.
    I've been inside mine a few times, and have seen nary a tube.
    sure sounds tube-y though.