1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressed Treble with a Lakland 55-02. This normal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by togglehead, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Ok, as a very happy owner of a Lakland 55-01 but desiring a bit more growl and definition, i was excited to finally get my hands on a 55-02 with the Lakland pups and LH3 pre. Well, i did get everything i wanted on the low end...but it seems to be MUCH less sparkly on the high end than the 55-01....this was surprising.

I was told the previous owner changed a few of the pots, and i have the originals...but i have no idea why he changed them, and if the treble pot is included in that change. If it was, could it have been changed with a pot that doesnt have as much range in the boost/cut dept?

The lows are huge, the mids are great (though im not sure ive found my sweet spot with my cab/compressor settings yet)...but even with the compressor removed from the signal chain....the highs just dont seem to sparkle. In fact, when slapping and popping, the pops seem almost compressed and dull. They certainly do not cut through on stage (to my ear).

Any other 55-02 owners have thoughts?