1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compresser Drama... Help....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by antnebass, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. antnebass

antnebass

Feb 20, 2008
    Hey reaching out to to you all as Id like to get a compressor... here are the ones that were recommended I play mostly 5 string and I like to drive the tunes on the B string ....
    Any suggestions or any experience with these ...
    M87 MXR
    Aguilar TLC Bass Compression Effect Pedal
    EBS Multi Comp
    Thanks

2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
  3. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I have an Aguilar and I really like it. But if the M87 had been available at the time I bought it, I would have gone that route. If I had the scratch (and the real need), then I would get the M76. It's exactly the same as the M87, but looks better.
    But the big reasons I would go for the M76/87 would be the LED meter and the release knob. those are two things the Aguilar doesn't have. Even though the compression ratio is sweepable with Aguilar, I don't really think I will ever take advantage of it. That is to say, I wouldn't consider the limited ratio options on the M76/87 any reason to discount it.
    Based on the review from the compressor Bible mentioned above, I would choose the M76.

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you wanting this compressor to do for you?

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  4. antnebass

antnebass

Feb 20, 2008
    Great thanks much.. !! Im looking to tighten up my tone and I feel that sometimes based on how i attack the tune my level is not consistent. I hope that makes sense

5. antnebass

antnebass

Feb 20, 2008
    Perfect thanks I had no idea that was here

monsterthompson likes this.
  6. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I hear that.
    Do you play pick or fingers mostly?
    A compressor can definitely do what you want, but maybe your pickups need adjustment? That may seem out of left-field, but I found that my string-to-string volume differences evened out once I got my pickup height set at the correct spacing for each string.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of a compressor, mind: I LOVE compressors. But knowledge is power, right?

Lvjoebass and antnebass like this.
  7. antnebass

antnebass

Feb 20, 2008
    I actually play with both And sometimes in the same tune

8. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Right on. Not really sure what I was going to do with that information, to be honest. But a comp can definitely help smooth out rough edges. I highly encourage you to read the FAQ section on that Compressor Bible. Especially the "how do you use it" and "good settings" articles. I already felt comfortable with comps, but these definitely expanded my understanding.

9. antnebass

antnebass

Feb 20, 2008
    I need to get educated. thanks much for your input

10. antnebass

antnebass

Feb 20, 2008
    This seems like the one the Bible likes very much..
    Origin Effects Cali76

Fuzzbass, smeet and Teijo K. like this.
  11. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I mean, I'd get it if I could afford it. But that really stretches the family budget for me!

12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I tried the MXR M87, and the Keeley Bassist. To me they are very similar in effect, but the Keeley is easier to dial in. I'd personally prefer Keeley over the MXR, but it's just me. I love MXR in general (I have 4).

lowplaces likes this.
  13. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I am no expert on compressors but have owned the EBS Multi Comp for about a year. It has a simple two knob control se and it is easy to get a good tone with it in any of the three modes. Ovni Labs had rated it highly but they downgraded it, apparently some have had reliability issues but I have not. Gives me a nice fat sound with great sustain.

kesslari likes this.
  14. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I’ve had a number of comps come and go, both rack mount and pedals.

My search ended with the Ovnilab Smoothie.

About $200 new and worth every penny. It’s a keeper.

And it’s from Bongomania, our very own TB compressor guru. He’s done a bit of research into what makes a great compressor.

15. I recently bought the TC Electronics SpectraComp..multiband compressor..Pretty much THE most sophisticated comp out there ranging from 75 to 100 bucks,,,Although to be fair, only one knob, but too complicated for most musicians.
    On the other hand it has a fair number of very useful toneprints , which you load up from your phone to the bass wirelessly....and there is a MAC/PC editor with around 40 parameters to tweak the compressor.

16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    You've already identified some gems. I've been through a few comps in recent years, and I've landed on the Duncan Studio Bass. I find it versatile. I play a Spector Euro 5 LX AW, and noted that Alex Webster had one of these in his signal chain. I opted to give it a shot, and it works pretty well for various styles and tones, with my 5 basses.

Plenty of good options out there.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

For a first compressor, I'd suggest a Keeley Bassist. It will do what you're looking to accomplish. And you don't need to know too much about compressors to use one effectively. It's about as easy to use as a compressor comes. And it's almost impossible to make yourself sound bad when using one. Which is not the case with many compressors out there. The more tweakable parameters, the easier it is to dial in an ugly sound. The Keeley automatically adjusts those settings that can get an inexperienced compressor user into trouble.

That Coyote, petrus61 and NOVAX like this.
  18. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    IMG_0147.JPG

king_biscuit and Sensory_Rupture like this.
  19. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

Big fan of the EBS Multicomp here.

The Diamond shown above is my second favorite.

kesslari likes this.
  20. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    I've had two multicomps over the years, but after I got a Fea DE/CL I sold my last one, and I am not planning on going back to EBS. It was great 10 years ago, but today there are so much more variety on the compressor market.