Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compressing after 20 years...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Jul 31, 2002.

1. hey everyone,
    I've avoided it for 2 decades, but I'm finally investing in a compression unit. just looking for ideas, where does everyone set his or hers in the signal chain?

from the low end,

Stew

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There are no hard and fast rules, though most probably put the compressor first in the chain, to even out the levels before going to other effects or to the amp.

Somtimes an octaver will work better if it is preceded by a compressor that improves the signal.

One less clear example is compression in combination with an envelope filter. With some units you'd not want the compressor before the filter as it would remove some of the volume change the filter works on. On the other hand with other filters you may have a problem with too high sensitivity so the filter gets difficult to control. Then you'd put the compressor before the filter to lower the range of the volume changes.

Experiment, if it sounds right to you it is right...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My advice would be to try out as many as you can, rack and stomp. I use a rack (Behringer Composer) mount that stays on interactive/light mode eternally, and a stomper (Tech21 bass compactor) to adjust things depending on the song. One thing I've noticed is that compressor choice is as personal as religion, people really stick to their guns about what they hear in one, so trust your ears alone. If you can spare half a day go to a huge music store and try a lot of them out. There is definitely a curve involved in getting a sound you like, so patience is required as compression is best used subtly. IMO. Good Luck!

4. thanks, Anders and Joshua!

it's been a hard decision to come to, but I've finally got the bass and the amp rig that I've always wanted and I thought it was worth investing in. I really appreciate the advice and opinion. I've always thought it was best used subtly, too, but I've never had much need of it before.

thanks again for everything. take care and keep making music,

from the low end,

Stew

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I recommend the dbx 160A compressor. It's a 1U rackmount, and a very good compressor. Maybe even the best.

6. Try like heck to find a box that will allow you to compress your highs and lows seperately. That old TE thing did that and my Mesa M-2000 has the finest compressor I have ever heard...buttery and smooth with a "frequency" dial so I can choose to compress everything evenly or just highs or lows or anything in between. Very useful!!

7. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    try an EBS MultiComp. They seem to work well with one of the BOSS Eqs.

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I second that emotion.:)

9. thanks again! I'll absolutely keep all of this in mind as I wade into the sea of compressors...

:D

take care, everyone,

from the low end,

Stew

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Try an FMR audio RNC if you get a chance. They go for a little under 200 bones. I love mine, and many others who have one (or more) will attest to how good they are.

11. does anyone know how the danelectro surf n turf pedal would do as a compressor? would it matter if it was bass plugged in also?

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just a side note. I too, after umpteen years, decided to put compression in my chain. I kyped the dbx 1066 out of my PA, and fiddled with it until I got a pretty decent sound out of it. After about a month, I realized that the benefit wasn't worth the hassle of having a complicated knob-monster to deal with. I don't slap the slab or spank the plank, and I've always been able to control my dynamics at the finger. Out with the dbx. For me, simpler is better.

13. Munji is kinda right about that....focus on your technique. Compression can sorta be like a crutch or a band-aid.

14. :D Agreed! Just replaced my Behringer Autocom Pro with an FMR RNC, and in super-nice mode it is completely transparent! I use only very light compression in the FX loop, blended 75%/25% with the raw feed.

15. Q - How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A - None. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand.

16. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
  17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
  18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    A compressor expert in 5 1/2 hours. Must be some kinda record!:D

19. What's the big deal guys? New stuff comes out all the time..peoples opinions and experiances are always changing. Should we stop discussing EV filters and chorus's too now?
    Sheesh....
    :rolleyes:

20. well, regardless of the tangents, thank you everyone for the advice. field research is an ongoing thing and I may go back to the pre-compression ways in the end. either way, I'll let you know.

thanks again,

from the low end,

Stew