Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compression again

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flamer, Jan 14, 2003.

1. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    Hello,

i know there's been a lot of talk in regards to compressors recently, and i've had a search but nothing seems relavant to this query.

I have just got an ashdown abm500, which seems like a pretty sweet amp, but it does not have a compressor or limiter, whilst i'm aware that i can monitor the input via the VU meter, am i correct in thinking that i could still clip and damage the speakers via the output?

I take it this would mean i would need to add a compressor/limiter after the input stage?

lastly, is there a way that i could do this with a simple pedal? i took a look at rackmounts (behringer etc) and there's no way i could put up with all those parameters (i got the ashdown due to its simplicity!).

any ideas/recommendations?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You can still blow overdrive the amp with a compressor if you set the make-up gain too high.

Yes there are some good compressor pedals out there that have some of the parameters pre-set.

Search the archives for compressor pedal. I am sure you will get many good responses.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As you're in the UK see if you can get hold of a second-hand Trace Elliot compressor pedal. They really are excellent and go for £75 or less.

Alex

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought one of those based on loads of recommendations I had read, but really hated it - noisy, affected the tone detrimentally to my ears etc etc. I ended up selling it for about £60!! :(

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I dont know if they have these over there, but the PreSonus BlueMax is very simple and works VERY well..Its got a pre-set stage that works well for bass plus you can get some cool sounds with the keyboard preset..I had a Behringer and there were too many knobs and stitches.

If you can test one of the BlueMax's out, I'd recommend that.

thanks
    Tommy

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Flamer, i wouldn't buy anything. You've got a VU meter and seem to be aware of clipping. That should do ya. Clipping only occurs on the input stage so if you're careful not to clip, you should never blow a speaker.

Blowing speakers via the output is a lot harder. You'd have to send WAY too much volume and really over-woof the speakers. As lo-z says, a compressor won't stop you doing this.