compression again

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flamer, Jan 14, 2003.

1. flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england

i know there's been a lot of talk in regards to compressors recently, and i've had a search but nothing seems relavant to this query.

I have just got an ashdown abm500, which seems like a pretty sweet amp, but it does not have a compressor or limiter, whilst i'm aware that i can monitor the input via the VU meter, am i correct in thinking that i could still clip and damage the speakers via the output?

I take it this would mean i would need to add a compressor/limiter after the input stage?

lastly, is there a way that i could do this with a simple pedal? i took a look at rackmounts (behringer etc) and there's no way i could put up with all those parameters (i got the ashdown due to its simplicity!).

any ideas/recommendations?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You can still blow overdrive the amp with a compressor if you set the make-up gain too high.

Yes there are some good compressor pedals out there that have some of the parameters pre-set.

Search the archives for compressor pedal. I am sure you will get many good responses.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As you're in the UK see if you can get hold of a second-hand Trace Elliot compressor pedal. They really are excellent and go for £75 or less.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought one of those based on loads of recommendations I had read, but really hated it - noisy, affected the tone detrimentally to my ears etc etc. I ended up selling it for about £60!! :(
  5. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I dont know if they have these over there, but the PreSonus BlueMax is very simple and works VERY well..Its got a pre-set stage that works well for bass plus you can get some cool sounds with the keyboard preset..I had a Behringer and there were too many knobs and stitches.

If you can test one of the BlueMax's out, I'd recommend that.

6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Flamer, i wouldn't buy anything. You've got a VU meter and seem to be aware of clipping. That should do ya. Clipping only occurs on the input stage so if you're careful not to clip, you should never blow a speaker.

Blowing speakers via the output is a lot harder. You'd have to send WAY too much volume and really over-woof the speakers. As lo-z says, a compressor won't stop you doing this.