1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compression: Again

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lburton2, Jul 17, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I've already messaged bongo.. lol

I'm looking for suggestions.. I'd like a relatively colored sounding compression (The fatter the better). That can handle a low B and allow for medium/almost-heavy squash.

I was hoping for an FEA Dual Band Opt. Compressor.. But it's been a long time waiting for the next batch to be made and I think I'm going to be looking elsewhere. Any suggestions?

2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Preferably something under $300. :?

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I swear by my Markbass Compressore. Sounds great at extreme settings or subtle... and it's under $300.

4. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Two Opto-Stomps in serial.

5. Tevatron

Tevatron

May 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got an Empress Compressor. I love the thing! The LEDs are extremely helpful. Very quiet, not even a hint of hiss. And, it just plain works. Attack, Release, Mix, and switchable ratios provide good control. I can fatten up my bottom end a little, and even the dynamics a little, and it still sounds like my bass. I can't say enough good things about my Empress!

6. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    10-4

7. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    The markbass does seem to be a good option.. The knobs allow tweaking on almost every variable of the compression, and the supposed to sound very tube like.. Which does fall into the "colored" side of things

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sorry I haven't responded yet, I'll try to give you a proper response tomorrow. Sinuses are killing me now.

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    PWNZOR FTW!(I just liked that I could do my response in all caps.)

10. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Caeman.. I've actually been thinking about doing an effective limiter and than a more color oriented compressor next to it. The question is... What ones

11. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more.

12. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    The Ampeg SVT7PRO comes with a really nice compressor, when the amp actually bothers to work...

Anyhow, you can't and won't know how a compressor really makes you sound in the mix untill you get one a try it with a band.

13. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    I love my Compressore. Great tweekability if you know how to use compression. Full control over the attack, release, slope and ratio plus you can crank up the tube gain to get a nice wooly tone.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, I'm back. First thing to note is that the Dual Band FEA is the farthest possible choice from what you described. Here are some excerpts from my review:
    The Markbass that everyone is recommending is also not near what you described. It has more color than the FEA Dual-Band, but just a skosh, a subtle fatness.

For fat and squashy, look to the Jacques Fat Burner, Vox Snake Charmer, Daring Phat Beam, Effectrode PC-2A, or EHX White Finger. I'd suggest FEA's Opti-FET or DE-CL but they have a long wait list.

15. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Awesome. Thx bongo