Compression and Overdrive advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lizardking837, May 26, 2022.

1. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Afternoon,

One of my projects is reorganizing and its giving me a pretty good opportunity to consolidate and rework my rig a bit.

I'm thinking of paring down my board and add a compressor to the mix. Here are the options I'm considering.

Darkglass Alpha-Omega Photon: Looks like a good all-in-one and I've been had an Alpha-Omega pedal on my GAS list for years. The price tag is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger.

Source Audio Atlas: I absolutely love my C4 and the full range of customization that Source offers. The "Bass Optimization" video demo left a little to be desired, but I love the feature set. The price is right, the flexibility is there and stereo outputs are a plus as well.

Becos CompIQ Mini: I love the feature set and flexibility. Plus I watched a very good demo and explanation...and it's the cheapest of the three.

I appreciate any input, advice and familiarity with you guys can offer.

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I’ve owned all three, but only own the Atlas now.

The Photon has a lot of features, but the compressor is a weak point in my estimation. Very little control over it, so if it doesn’t do what you want, well, too bad. The other features are fine, but I’ve been happier with other options for drive, amp/cabsim, etc.

The Atlas has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to features. It is a full-on stereo compression plugin that sits on your pedal board, plus it has a lot of EQ options built in, as well as noise suppression. A lot of what the photon offers (different tones as presets) can be achieved with the Atlas, minus the drive, at a fraction of the cost. Getting the most out of it requires using the Neuro software/app, but that’s no different than the Photon.

The Becos offerings are excellent, and the Mini is pretty easy to use for how powerful it is. If all you want is a single, excellent compressor, it’ll certainly fit the bill.

lizardking837 likes this.
  3. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Thank you for the input. That's essentially the calculus I've been making. The Atlas is only a few bucks more than the CompIQ, and does a lot more. I already have familiarity with the NeuroHub software. And with the money saved I could just pickup an Alpha-Omicron on Reverb.

Derek Williams and Smurf-o-Deth like this.