1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compression Before or After Analog Octave Down ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnetone, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Before

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. After

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Aloha!

I'm pretty split about which of these effects I prefer first.

What's your opinion?
    What's your rig?

I'm talking about a FoxRox Octron 2 and an Origin Effects Cali76CD
    These are being fed by a Lakland 55-01 or a Warwick Adam Clayton Sig.

But please let me know about your experience!

Mahalo

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I'd put the Cali first

johnetone likes this.
  3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Like anything, there's no right or wrong. Just what sounds better to you. Although a Compressed signal may be easier for the FoxRox to handle.
    Here's just one link that addresses your question:
    Octave and compressor order

johnetone likes this.
  4. I agree that there is no right or wrong. I just wanted to hear what people's experiences were. Have you tried both? Did you start out with one way and then switch after a while?

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I like Octave 1st then Compressor then O/D. But I believe many many like the Comp 1st. I actually am looking at buying the FoxRox but don't have it yet. I had an MXR but it wasn't quite right for me.

johnetone likes this.
  6. I have been going back and forth. I'm going to switch it up tonight and report back after this survey has a bit of time to marinade.

I've had my Octron 2 for about 10 years. However, the new Octron 3 may end up coming home soon. I love the smaller box. I'd miss being able to turn off individual effects (High, Dry, Low). But the tone switches on the front panel are actually quite a big deal. Because otherwise if I want to hear those differences, I have to take the thing apart and adjust it and then a few months down the road, I'll try and sweeten it again.

FunkHead likes this.
  7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Try both ways and see what you like. After I tried many things I love my Demeter Compulator compressor 1st on the signal chain right after the tuner. It gives me the balanced sheen that is my sound before any actual effects come into play, and IMO gives the octaver the "best" signal to play with.

johnetone likes this.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I tend to prefer comp before octaver.

johnetone likes this.
  9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    "da rules" seem to favor comp first, but I've had more success with comp after my analog octavers, strangely. Might depend on the comp, though.

johnetone likes this.
  10. I used to have comp first but lately moved it last in chain. For me with octaves it helps sustain notes in a pleasing way. Can’t say it helped that much with tracking having it first either. But do try it both ways.

johnetone likes this.
  11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I'd say it definitely depends on the comp, and how it's being used. If you're trying to even out volume spikes/dynamics, it probably makes sense to put the comp after, but if it's being used as a tone shaper then I like to put the comp first before everything.

johnetone likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I like comp after octaver on my Aguilar Octomizer. It tracks better to me when I hit it with my uncompressed signal.

I am doing a lot of experimenting lately with my new board. Honestly this is about the oy question I have answered definitively for myself. The rest is still up in the air. :D

jchrisk1 and johnetone like this.
  13. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh I get that, but while I like to have a comp for both purposes, I have almost universally gotten better tracking without a compressor in front of the octave, which is really bizarre to me, but I see that @two fingers has the same experience. Seems counterintuitive!

johnetone likes this.
  14. It's funny, I have the impression that the Octamicer tracks better after the compressor. Go figure... :laugh:

johnetone and two fingers like this.
  15. Well, this survey is going to expire soon. And after checking both ways, I like the Cali76CD before the Octron. It seems to have a cleaner and more articulate sound.

I think since both pedals have an adjustable dry through, this makes a lot of sense.

But I can totally tell the comp after Octave is a good thing too. It’s just not what I want out of the combination.

Ultimately having the comp first or as close to the beginning of the chain as possible is probably a good thing for me. This allows me to have a more nimble approach since I use the comp as a performance enhancer. It’s noisier when I’m not playing. But I don’t have to overplay with the comp first.

Thanks all for your input!

16. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Thanks to you too. I'm going to try the compressors I'm looking at before my Octron as well, but hope it doesn't sound too good, as it'll alter my plans for what to do with a mutron type filter later!

johnetone likes this.
  17. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    My first three are octave, envelope filter, then compressor. I too feel that my Aggie octamizer tracks better being first. And the comp tames the filter. Just my opinion. Whatever works best for you is the right answer.

johnetone likes this.
  18. Yeah? I think the comp would sound good before the filter too. I guess why I like it too is because I feel like my passive p-pickup needs a little more juice than other basses I’ve used.

Anyway I really like the sound of comp before wah/filter because it is a stronger effect that way for me. But some of my fuzzes sound like junk after my comp. so I have the wah before the first fuzz. Then comp. then octaver! Geezus!

19. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I've run comps before filters in the past, but the one I'm looking at getting is specifically mutron styled and I worry that a compressed signal might make it I dunno, "pop" too much? I'll have to play around with it. My favorite filter thus far has been the Aggie Filter Twin, but it boosted volume too much, needed a comp after.

johnetone likes this.