Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compression "broken" on Hartke 2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jhiggy, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I picked up this used rig for $400 (Hartke 2000, 410TP, 4 space SKG box). Two of the dust covers were rattling, so I'm working on finding something to fix that (sounds fine without, but dust probably isn't a good thing to get inside the speaker). In the mean time, I want to fix this compression problem.

When it's switched off, there's no issue. When switched on at any level, it begins to hum after about a minute or two. The hum gets louder until you turn the compresison off. The compression works the whole time, but of course is moot once the hum starts.

Any clues? I think I'm capable of fixing, as long as I know what to look for...

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hartke's are notorious for bad solder joints. Perhaps it's as simple as that.

Do you have a schematic? Are you comfortable reading one? And...do you know how to solder properly (and have the right equipment...soldering pencil, etc.)?

3. No, si, si.

I've taken it apart to look for something like that, but I didn't see anything. Having a schematic would be great, but I have no clue on how to obtain one.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  5. Nice rig.

I am still working on replceing the pots for the countor on my 5000, but I have found that I hate the compression on mine a lot.
    I got a Boss bass compressor pedal for about 75 buck a long time ago and wouldn't use the compression on the amp past 3 IMOHO.

I understand the need to have everything working as advertised, but don't be surprised if you want a seperate compressor.

Billy has all the answers, and that's the truth.
    :bassist:

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ouch...now that's a tough standard to maintain... :D