Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compression/clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flamer, Dec 23, 2002.

1. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    Hi folks,

happy christmas!
    you guys are prolly used to my inane questions, so here's another!

I've just bought a ashdown abm 500, which seems like a sweet amp, but yet again i've bought another head without compression or limiter. I've realised that a lot of pro rigs don't have these features, so how do you avoid clipping? I realise turning down is a good step, but i play in a noisy band, and need to cut through, plus other people maybe using the head at gigs. Is it wise to get a seperate compressor? Maybe i should have just settled for the peavey firebass head.

help!

phil (uk).

2. most pro rigs use a limiter of some sort to prevent clipping not a compressor (ok a limiter is a compressor with an infinity:1 ratio)

I will have a Yamaha GC2020C rack Compressor/Limiter soon, and using rack limiters is normally the best way to do it

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you could always buy my hartke 7000 as seen in the for sale forum :D it has compression already on it ;)

or you could buy a compressor (rackmount or pedal version) for quite a bit cheaper...

4. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    ok, thanks for that.
    Im not really sure how this works but i can check the input gain with the VU meter, but i guess i have no way of judging if the amp is damaging the speakers (besides from using my ears that is!), anyways, how would a compression or limiter pedal work in regards to input and output?

And how many of you use seperate compressors or limiters and what would you recommend?

I have an old zoom multi effects with these functions, would that do the job?

sorry for all the questions!

thanks again.
    -p.

5. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Hope i'm not about to state the obvious.... :oops:

Use the VU meter by playing into the amp when getting levels for a session. Set the input gain so that the needle is touching just below the red section when you play the loudest note that you will be playing (if that makes sense). Then adjust the output level to whatever you need it at for the situation that you are playing.

well.. hope thats of some help at least... :)

DC :D

6. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i had the same problem with my eden wt400 head. i would get really bad distortion and clipping. i bought a boss LMB-3 limiter pedal which seemed to resolve it.

erik

7. Hey FNA4. What kind of dog is that? (Avatar)

8. I've used a Alesis nano compressor from time to time. When all I want to do is stop clipping, I set the ration to INFINITY and set the threshhold so as to stop the clipping. It takes some fiddling with to get the setting just right.

9. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    cheers for that folks.
    I realise i can monitor the input for clipping, but isn't it the output i should worry about?, surely a pedal would just limit the input?

Tell me if i'm just being horribly naive here, this is new to me as i've just moved up from a hartke 4000 which only had master volume.

actually, i'm confusing myself here.....

-p.

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    an american bulldog. bean is his name... :D

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bulldogs rule. Bean looks like a good one!