Compression compared

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thom, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Thom

Dec 4, 2003
    I am looking into buying a new compressor that gives me more versatility (and less noise) then the cheap pedal I have now. I have two questions:

1) If I buy a rackmount compressor (which I will probably do, see q2) how should I hook it up? Between the bass and the amp, or in the send/return jacks? Or does either way have consequences in sound characteristics?

2) I can get a sweet deal on the TC Electronic Triple C. This thing is able to vary compression on bass/mid/high and has an envelope filter. Another compressor I'm looking into is the DBX 160A. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both?

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What "cheap pedal" are you using now?

If you do go with a rackmount unit and you run a biamp setup, it is helpful to have a 2 channel compressor. That way you can compress the lows and highs separately - typically lows and highs need different amounts of compression to keep your dynamics and tone.
  3. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    You may want to check out a RNC compressor. They run about $175 shipped. Takes up one 1/2 rack space. I have just recently purchased one and have it up at the sound board so our soundman can adjust accordingly. I use just a touch of compression just to smooth out the thumb and finger stuff. We do not use any amps up on stage we are using the IEM's. When I do sub gigs and use my amp to fill a room I do not use any compression. Hope this helps Good Luck :)