1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compression/Distortion Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eleven59, Mar 6, 2008.

1. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    Hello everyone, I'm new here, just signed up. Been lurking for a bit, lots of useful information here.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is that I'm building a bass rig for live/studio use in a band. I play a Fender Jazz Bass V (Made in Mexico). Here's what I have so far:

BassRig.

Ampeg SVT-3Pro
    Ampeg SVT410HLF
    Peterson StroboStomp 2

All this is going into an Angstrom shock rack (being delivered next week) with a Furman PL-Plus D II (on its way here also) and a rack drawer to hold the tuner and future additions (wireless some time down the road, other pedals) and for storing cables, etc. during transportation. I've also got a Speakon cable coming to link the head to the cabinet.

I play lots of punk, ska, rock, metal, etc. Lately I've been jamming to some Less Than Jake, Soilwork, Reel Big Fish, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, older Incubus, I Mother Earth, Chevelle, old Metallica, Bad Religion, Green Day, etc.

So far, I'm loving this amp, despite the mixed reviews I've read. I'm not looking for a super-clean tone, so I don't mind that it doesn't have the most headroom of any amp around.

The main issue that needs addressing, though, is compression to smooth out my dynamics. I want something rackmount, as I want to be able to play without a pedalboard most of the time. Has to be transparent sounding as I love my tone so far, and I need something that won't round out my playing too much, I want the sharp attack kept intact, as I play with a pick a lot.

The other thing I'm looking for is a distortion pedal of some sort for those times I want a grittier sound. Ideally I'd like something that can handle tones similar to Justin Chancellor of Tool (I know he uses a Rat pedal through one of his GK rigs, running the other clean) all the way up to full-blown fuzz (along the lines of Muse) and everything in between.

I've read the reviews and FAQ but I'm looking for more specific suggestions for my needs. Also, as I've already spent quite a bit clearly :lol: I'm looking for some affordable options, preferably no more than a $200 or so for each piece.

2. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    Anyone?

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Asking for Tool and Muse in one pedal is a pretty tall order. Some of those Muse sounds themselves take multiple pedals to create, and even then some (I'm talking about the Akai Deep Impact) are well out of your price range.

4. Rufus

Rufus

Feb 6, 2007
    Texas
    Check Robert Keeley out at http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php
    The 2-knob compressor is totally quiet and transparent. It is also just as versatile as the 4-knob unit, the only difference being, two are inside the unit so you adjust it the way you like it and leave it. Read up on it and you will be impressed. Purchase it, or better yet, try one out before you purchase, and you will be impressed more.

5. Just put a dbx 1066 compressor into my rig and it's phenominal.

6. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    I've been looking at a DBX 160A, would that work?

And I realize that asking for Muse effects in that price range, etc. is ridiculous, I mainly just mean everything from a light drive (possibly boosting my amp a bit?) to nasty distortion (Nine Inch Nails/Manson/Rob Zombie) to smooth fuzz. I figure a Big Muff will handle the smooth fuzz, but will it cover some of the lower gain/nastier sounds? What would?

7. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    maybe a Zoom Ultra Fuzz might be what you're looking for? They're discontinued but still around on ebay- lot's of different fuzz sounds available and a reasonably priced.

8. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm thinking I'm going to get two pedals:

Sansamp Bass Driver DI
    ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi (probably the American, or Little Big Muff)

Would the Sansamp give me that slightly driven sound I'm looking for (Tool, early Incubus, Less Than Jake, etc.)?

9. adaven16

adaven16

Aug 16, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    i use the sansamp in my rig and it gets pretty close to the tool sounds. not exact but close. but im using a Spector NS2H5 with the EMG pickups so its really trebley all ready.

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    All of the rack units in the "top picks" section of my reviews can be found for $200 or so if you hunt carefully and patiently on Ebay. I do think a dbx will suit you well based on what you've described. If you want to go even cheaper a dbx 166 (any version) will do you fine for around $100 used.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm still most impressed with my GK Diesel Dawg.

The Dawg has super quality for all drive levels, and can achieve very high gain. It can't take the place of a FUZZ-fuzz - like an octave fuzz or gated fuzz.

Joe