1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compression for Heavy Metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpeedAndPower, Dec 30, 2011.

1. SpeedAndPower

SpeedAndPower

Apr 11, 2011
    :help: I play fast heavy metal like power metal/ speed metal/ nwobhm/ thrash/prog etc and when i try recording myself throught my amp to my audio interface. some notes sound a lot higher in volume and some lower. i play with 3 fingers doing 16ths, quite a lot of the time on roots for 2 bars,my fingers are not all equal in strenght. anyways what im trying to say is do you guys know any compressors that can get me to sound in the region of this: LEGEND - THE LOST WORLD ('LEGEND' bassist Mr. MIN) - YouTube

thanks for your help in advance :)

2. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    Wow, 40 something views, and I guess I'll be the first to say it.

Have you been here yet? Compressor Reviews

Wonderful compressor FAQ and reviews. If you don't find what your looking for, you can at least come back with a better idea of what's out there and what to ask.

3. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Yes. Get a BBE Opto Stomp used for about $50. It does that very well.

-JV

4. If you want to go absolutely nuts with the customizability of your compression you should try a Markbass Compressore. You can get a wide range of sounds with it, and the gain knob even lets you add some subtle dirt that adds a lot of character (at least in my experience, YMMV).

:bassist:

5. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I use a Dbx 166, it works well. I use 3 fingers for triplets and what not too.

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I'd use some exercises for the fingers to get the attack even, and use the mxr m87 whilst your fingers get even in attack