1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compression pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Mar 18, 2010.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    I'm wondering who uses compression and who doesn't here while playing live.

the short version: I am thinking about trading in my current bass (Yamaha Attitude Standard-5) and a compressor pedal (Ashdown dual band compressor) for a Music Man S.U.B. 4 and was wondering if it is a worthy move.

I always sort of thought of the compressor pedal as a "punch button" that adds that punchiness to my tones. I usually only stomped it on when I was going to play something funky or pop/slap. I really can't say that I notice it doing all that much but that may be my immature ears.

From what I've heard, the MusicMan I'm going to get has punchiness galore so I feel like I might not miss my compression pedal that much.

What are the pros to a compressor pedal and the cons?

Who likes using them live and who doesn't?

Only interested in live applications... obviously some compression on a recorded track after the fact in inarguably a must have.

2. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    bump

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So... Check the links in my sig for a lot of info... and search, because there are hundreds of threads here (including some very recent ones) that answer your questions. :)

4. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks man... very good point. I will do that.

I just got rid of my compressor this weekend and now I'm having regrets. I think I'll survive w/o it

5. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    The UPS truck was supposed to be here today! 3/22/10! Not 3/23/10.

It was supposed to be my unboxing moment, right now, home from work with the Compressore. I'm gonna blame it on the weather; but I hate missed deadlines.

6. Compressor is pretty awesome, it gives some sort of an unreal attack and sustain on your sound.

When I like it: when I pick play (because I suck at pick playing) and when I play fast (like metal and fast arena type power rock)

When I don't like it: when I play the smoother stuff, more evolved stuff (STP, Still Got The Blues)

7. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Compressors are better for recordings, cause "everything has to be perfect" there, though even then I don't like them

And I never use compression for gigs

8. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I got the BBE Opto Stomp and I give it two thumbs up. For the price, it's pretty amazing.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020