Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compression Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AsteroidM, Jun 14, 2001.

1. AsteroidM

AsteroidM

Jun 14, 2001
    I was wondering if anybody had any recomendations for a compression pedal.

Thanks
    Mr. C

2. I haven't used many compressor pedals myself but the Ibanez Soundtank I use (CP-5 I think) does its job pretty well (I wasn't actually going to buy it to tell the truth. I went to my favourite music shop (called Muldoon's music supply -- a great place becuase its sort of an independantly run store) and was purchasing an EQ but he had it for $25 and I figured it wasn't much of an investment anyway :D). I don't think that they make this series anymore...they were plastic anyway so I don't think you would want this one specifically (it is well built though).

MXR makes a pretty good one too (the Dyna-Comp I believe) and I've heard a lot (strangely enough) about the Danelectro mini-pedal (I forget its name). Go figure...

3. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    EBS multicomp if by far my favourite. Don't leave home without it kinda thing. It does not only do the usual compression, it also makes everything sound bigger and better which is something that other pedals don't usually do. It will take slapping to another dimension. And it also has a tube sim sound option so you can add a bit tube warmth to your tone.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It is a great comp. If you want a cheaper one that also sounds good check out the tech21 BassCompactor.

5. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have a Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor, but they don't make them anymore unfortunately. You can find them all the time on ebay for under $70 usually, but make sure to get the adapter...it's an 18volt system (2 9v batteries) although I'm not sure how bad it eats batteries. The cool thing about this compressor is it has a separate compressor for the low's and the highs. You can control how much compression to send to the lows and how much compression the highs get and it works well. It also has an overall knob to give your sound a lower reggae dub tone and a tinny'er sound or somewhere in the middle. It is a very handy pedal to have around. The EBS is more plug and play from what I hear, but there is a lot of option in the Trace Elliot. Oh yeah, and it also has an input level and an output level. So if your bass normally overdrives a normal compression pedal, you can turn the input level down on this one, let it compress, and then get your volume back with the output level. They really thought this one out for bass players, a very awesome design.
    cameron

6. You can't go wrong with the Boss LMB-3.

7. joegoose

joegoose

Jun 28, 2001
    UK, Colchester
    GO FOR THE DBX 160A rack mountable compressor!!!!!
    Marcus miller uses it!
    Don't get the EBS its crap! It is very subtle you don't get that 70's slap bass sound, or 90's!
    The trace is ok but the dbx is your best bet and its a lot cheaper than you think!

by the way, any rack mountable studio quality comp will do you!

8. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    My experiences with pedal compressors have so far been lousy. They all seem to suck the life out of my sound. I hear the Carl Martin is good, so I'm looking around to try one before I totally give up on compressors. If you have one, or happen to try one, please let me know whether it improves your sound.

9. vivid

vivid

Mar 5, 2001
    personally i love compression pedals, I see them as a vital part of any good setup. If you think its sucking the life out of your bass you should adjust the attack settings i would think, until you get a satisfactory compromise between fouling and lame sound

10. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i'd definately go for the TE smx if you can get hold of one....

i didn't get on with the boss LMB, a bit flat sounding (if that's not a contradiction for a comp. pedal)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has been my experience as well - I actually bought a Trace Elliot dual compressor on recommendation and found that I couldn't get any usable tones out of it, but lots of noise - couldn't sell it fast enough!!

The only good experience I've had in 20 years with compressors was the studio rack mounted DBX type.

I sometimes think people convince themselves that these things are doing some good, but when I hear what they're going on about, it just either doesn't make any difference or adds noise? :confused:

12. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i also tried the alesis nanocrompressor, which was quite good in the effects loop of my head. i didn't like the way it compressed the highs though - i do have quick a clanky sound.

i did use a boss cs-3 compression sustainer, bit it was as subtle as a flying brick, but nice on guitar.