Compression. PRE OR POST??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, May 30, 2004.

1. lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Just wondering which way you guys compress when recording?? Straight to tape, or post. I know when you compress to tape it helps the signal not clip, but im wondering if there are any other advantages/drawbacks to pre vs. post, in sound quality etc.

2. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    From my 8 year sound engineering career: little or no comp at recording, no EQ if possible. This was standard procedure for bass with analog tape machines (2" 24 tracks) and gave the most flexibility for the mix. The tape usually had a slight compression and warming-up effect.

With a good preamp, go straight to the recorder if you already have the sound that you would like. With todays digital recorders running at very high frequencies and sample rate, signal to noise ratio is so good that you can plug in straight, but adding a little tube coloring for warmth doesn't hurt imho, even though you can always add that during the mix. Usually I compress/EQ during the mix only, and if necessary. The only instrument where I recommend pre recording processing is drums.