1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compression Q's? (MXR Super Comp content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bardolphus, May 3, 2010.

1. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    So after picking up an MXR bass envelope filter I noticed that I had some spikes coming out that seemed that they might need to be tamed a little. I picked up an MXR Super Comp at my local music store. I'm having a hard time trying to dial in a good tone with it. I can hear the "fatness" that it gives but I'm having trouble with it distorting the tone. It seems more prevalent on lower notes. I've tried mild settings and it always has at least a little distortion. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a Modulus FB5. Batteries are good. I have tried this through my gig rig (GK 1001RB-II into a Carvin 8x10 with Sansamp RBI) and through my computer. Both yielded the same type of distortion. Bass sounds completely clean without it.

Maybe the MXR is just not the comp for me? I was set on just taking it back but I thought I'd ask here first. I've also read Bongo's Compressor FAQ.

2. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    I have the same problem with the EHX Q-tron, Mad volume spikes that slam the limiter on my little mark and sound horrible. I tried an MXR comp and it did not cut it, there is no threshold or ratio control and this makes it useless as a limiter. I was thinking about getting an Aguilar TLC but its a little pricey. I am curious to see what people say because you and I have the same problem.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I had one, it's not really the best pedal out there. I'd return it.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    ovnilabs.com

If you're going cheap, BBe optostomp. more expensive, Maxon cp9 pro+

5. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    So what's the deal with the distortion? Does it just boil down to it not being a great pedal or is there something else?

6. I totally LOVE my mark bass compressore
    its a big pedal though, and people with a lack of room on a board might pass.
    but you can control every detail of the compression and the tube does the compression.

its awesome.

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    For limiting, according to Bongo (from what I've read/what I remember off hand), you're going to want the Aguilar TLC.

I'm not sure where the distortion is coming from, but I'd just assume it's because the pedal isn't very high quality.

8. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Sorry, I did not read carefully enough the OP.

you could be overdriving it with your bass,but more likely it's just not a great bass comp. if you are using gentle settings and it's distorting, put it back in the box and take it back.

9. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Back to the store it goes! Thanks for the help fellas!

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep--if you can swing the $$, try the Maxon CP9Pro+ or Aguilar instead. The Demeter and bass-modded Boss CS-3 are also decent options. It's hard to get good peak limiting from any of the less expensive pedals--not a question of price snobbery in this case, but an unfortunate gap between low cost and good peak limiting.

11. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks Bongo...the Aguilar looks like the way to go for me. On the cheaper end, I'm wondering about the BBE though. Need to free up some funds for the Aggie if I go that way. I think on the MXR my bass is too hot for it. Maybe not...I've been sitting here playing with it all night and that's the best I've got. I can definitely get the idea of what comp could do for me and I like it...especially if I can get a good one.