1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compression Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Berger912, May 7, 2010.

1. if you use a compressor and a gate what order do you put them in
    compressor —> gate or gate —> compressor? and what are the benefits and the down sides of each way? i would appreciate any help thank you.

Peace
    Dave

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I would personally put the compressor first

if you put the gate first any lag on the gate will shape your envelope which will effect the response of the compressor.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Gates are only there to turn off the tap when the flow is low...to stop drips. Utility.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's a good metaphor. :)

I agree that it should go comp --> gate, however I hate gates and always recommend solving the source of the noise rather than using a gate. Also, in order to understand what order effects should go in, you have to think about what they do. A gate turns your signal on and off, pretty abruptly. Where do you want your signal turned on and off? What stage of your chain do you want the gate to "hear" and respond to? If you think about what it does, and what you want it to respond to and affect, then it becomes obvious where to put it.