Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compression, rackmounted options?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JRB, Oct 21, 2003.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first posting and I am glad to be here. I played recently on a compression pedal and it really improved my slap sound. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good rackmounted compression units out there. I really liked the EBS compression pedal but for that much money I would rather have a rackmounted unit. Thanks for the info.
    Jonathan

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Welcome to TalkBass!
    You'll probably get this a lot on some topics (I hate getting it still) but if you do a search in the specific forums you will generally find tons of info on these things that you can pull from.
    I have used an Alesis 3630 Comp./Noise Gate, it is a rack mounted unit but it seems to be a little noisy. There are lots of pedal comp.'s that most people seem to really like and unless you'll be adjusting the levels constantly you could always put it on a rack tray in your rack. I have a tray in my rack for this purpose and it does a great job. For what it's worth I really liked the EBS pedal. EBS pedals aren't cheap but many, including myself, like their performance if we can afford them.
    Again...welcome to TB!:bassist:

3. I too use the Alesis 3630. It is not very noisy, and works great for live applications.

They can be had for around $100

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    BP do you run yours in stereo?
    Give me some level info and setup...maybe there's hope for it in my rack yet!

5. My rack is currently at my bands rehearsal room, so I cannot give you the settings.

Yes, I do run both channels.

I use a Peavey Max pre-amp, and use it in an odd sort of bi-amp set up. Instead of using the high and low outputs, I roll the cut off frequency as low as it can go (effectively rolling off just the sub freq's to the highs). Then I use the full range out to one channel, and the high out to the other channel.

The full range channel drives my 15's and 18's, the high channel runs the 10's.

I like this set up because all I am really doing is rolling off the real lows to the 10's. The rig can go really loud without the 10's farting out.

The full range channel is compressed just to limit peaks, and even out the sound across the fretboard. The highs are squeezed a little more to add sustain, and ringing harmonics to the highs.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    $89

[​IMG]

MDX 2200.

Bonus Feature for Bassist: Low Pass Filter.

I've been very happy with mine for the past few years.

7. I've got a DBX 266XL in my rack. I use channel 1 as a compressor through my preamp's effect loop and channel 2 as a limiter in my amp's effect loop. Plus, I kinda like the soft knee compresson feature.