Compression Ratios

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seamus, Oct 1, 2002.

1. 0 - Even Steven, no compression!

3 vote(s)
  2. 1:1

0 vote(s)
  3. 2:1

2 vote(s)
  4. 3:1

6 vote(s)
  5. 4:1

5 vote(s)
  6. 5:1

3 vote(s)
  7. 6:1

0 vote(s)
  8. 7:1

0 vote(s)
  9. 8:1

0 vote(s)
  10. 9:1

0 vote(s)
  11. 10:1 or more - Flatty Boom Batty!

0 vote(s)
  1. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Hi All-

Don't know if this has been done before, but I wanted to post a poll and see how the distribution comes out. I figure with different genres of music, styles of play, and applications, I would test the waters to see how players are using their units.

So how much do you all like to squeeze those notes? Feel free to comment on settings, styles, applications, etc. I'd be interested in your feedback as well as your votes. :cool:

I've never been one to use much compression myself, and for the past few months of rehearsals, I haven't used any at all. I try to sieze those opportunities to clean up on technique and such. Plus, I'm a minimalist when it comes to effects, and I've always had this fear that I might someday come to rely on compression too much.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    None, I like the bass clean sounding.... But Ampeg colored. :)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on the effectiveness of the compressor being used.......I know, I'm no fun!

But all things being equal, when a set list with considerable slapping is coming up, I set it just below "unbearable REO Speedwagon compression."
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    13 to 1 compression, 477 cubic inches.......... oh, sorry, I thought this was a car thread. :D
  5. very low ratios to smooth out the unaffected signal or just to acheive a slight lfo'ish growl... the bass signal looses too many lows and gains an abraisive attitude at higher ratios imo.
  6. Does natural tube compression count? :D
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    By all means!
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    3.5 : 1

[EDIT] I just noticed I got the ratio mixed up :oops:
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You've got it!

Music = mathematics, or so I'm told... :)
  11. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Errr...the first and second choices (even steven and 1:1) are the same. Actually, I don't think there's such a thing as 0, because the ratio of input/output can't be 0.

As for me, I like no compression when playing fingerstyle, and either a 3:1 or 5:1 ratio when attempting slap.
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I use between 4:1 and 5:1 for several reasons. First, I am sometimes a clumsy oaf, and if I accidentally hook a fingernail, I don't want to blow everyone's brains out. Secondly, the sound guy can keep my level fairly high without worrying about major variations in volume. Last, but not least, I use compression as a tone-shaping tool. I like P-style basses, and they have a pretty wide sound. Compression helps me reign in their tendency to be boomy or mushy. I very much like the "compressed P-bass sound".

I'm using a rackmount compressor that gives me a lot of control, and I'm able to use these settings without the dreaded "breathing" effect, and by adjusting attack and release times, I can get a reasonably natural sound.
  13. Overall. with just one compressor: 3 or 4 to 1.

I compress twice.
    Once with a Threshold of -6 db and a 2:1 ratio and a soft knee for sustain and light overall compression.
    Again with a Threshold of +6 db and a 6:1 ratio and a hard knee for the peaks.