Compression Sound Distortion :hmm:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The B, Apr 27, 2005.

1. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    I finally got my DigiTech Bass Squeeze Dual Band Compressor pedal in, and i noticed a little problem. The compression works fine in the hi band, but the low band, but a lot of the notes on the low band (E String only) come out distorted.
    I have a BB-604 Bass (passive j pups, active on-board preamp), and this only happens when i boost the lows and mids. When i don't boost any thing it works fine. Am i setting it up wrong or is my bass too strong, or is the pedal defective? I tried using the search button but couldn't find any thing. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a lot

The B - Adrian
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    When you "boost the lows and mids," are you doing this on your bass or on your amplifier?

If you're doing it on your bass, you may be overdriving either the pedal or the input of your amp. Try turning the gain down on your amp if it has a gain control. If not, try turning the level control down on your pedal.
  3. Try a fesh battery too (if your bass is active) just in case it's the battery going out on ya.
  4. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    My Gain on my amp is about 4...but the pedal's level is pretty high....i try to match the volume of the pedal activated, with that of the pedal turnoed off....or should i not do that?
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Put it before modulation. :)
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i like compressor sounds,but this sounds are goods only in the 3 first strings.
  7. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah it sounds like you're clipping your amp. I had this problem, but then upgraded to a better compressor/limiter and it went away.
  8. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got a Bass Squeeze, but I've not noticed the distortion problem. I do remember reading of others having this problem with "hot" signals going into the Bass Squeeze.

I never turn the volume on my active Ibanez 6-string past about 1/2-way (I like the tone there better), so I've not seen this problem.