Compression stompers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, May 5, 2004.

1. I was talking to one of my net-buddies on the subject of comp stompboxes. He's tried a few (EBS, Keeley...) and I've tried another few (Trace Elliot, Retrospec...) but we figured there must be abunch that we haven't tried or something about the ones we have that we must've missed!

What are your (pos/neg) compressor stories of the day? Which ones glow and which ones blow?
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with my Trace Elliot Dual Compressor pedal. The idea of the unit seems great, but after I've been playing through it for awhile, I unplug and plug in direct to the amp and the sound comes alive. I haven't tried it for awhile so I'll give it another go and report back.

The limiter on my SWR SM 900 sounds fantastic and you feel it more than you hear it,... meaning I can really pound on a note and it doesn't squash it.

Question: who has a compressor in their live rig and do you feed the soundman this compressed signal?
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I own the T. E. Smx dual compression pedal.
    Think its great, but out of production.
    Tryed the Apex Punch Factory.
    This is the ****.
    Best Comp. pedal I ever heard.
    Sell for $139.00
  4. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I like the LRCOMP setting on my Zoom708II. In fact that's what I bought the unit for. Don't really use any of the other effects.

Don't try the factory settings; they might not be suited to your bass or your playing. But after some tweaking, I managed to get a Stuart Zender-ish tone on my setup and am very happy with it.

I've tried the Bass Compactor and I like it as well, along with the EBS. But for less than half that price I can get a tone that I like together with a tuner. :p
  5. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Is the Black Finger battery powered or externally-powered? If they're only externally powered, does EHX make them in 'international' voltages other than American?
  6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have used a few different stomp box compressors. Currently I own an Analogman Bi-Comprossor and a Retrospec Squeezebox. They are both excellent for bass. The BC does not have the low-end loss with the Ross circuit that owners of the Keeley mention. (I never tried a Keeley with bass.) The BC is a very useful, high-quality compressor. Currently I am using the Retrospec with my rig. The added shimmer really adds to the sound.
  7. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I have been thinking of picking up a Squeeze Box for a while..... I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I am not on the best of terms with my TE SMX. I just can't seem to get it to work for my sound.
  8. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got the Digitech bass squeeze and I really like it. 2 bands seem like a very useful feature for bass comps.
  9. Yes, the Squeezebox is fantastic! Love the sound and most of all ( ;) ) the look! The Digitech seems good, dbx usually gets it right when it comes to compressing bass...
  10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

This is a really great box. However, it is not perfect. It can be very heavy sounding unless you use really mild settings. I don't think it is the best box to use if you slap a lot, IMO.
  11. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I already have some more subtle compressors in my bag, so I have been looking into some more drastic compression sounds. I loved Tony Levin's over the top compressed sound on "Secret World" from the Peter Gabriel record US. Even though he lists the Retrospec on his gear list, he could not remember if he used the squeeze box on that tune when I asked him in an email a few years back... I still have yet to try one out though. They have them in Rudy's once in a while in midtown, but I just have not sat down to plunk some notes through one....

Another wild compressor is one called "The Distressor." I know it is a rack mount, but it is really over the top. My fav is the "Nuke" setting. It squishes everything to a ridiculous level if you want to.
  12. I don't use the Squeezebox for extreme settings, but just to fatten up the sound and mild compression. I never slap, in fact I've told my guitarist to stomp on my foot if I ever do :) , so no need for extreme limiting.

I just use it to smooth the sound out. Still get plenty of dynamics though, I feel no "squashing".
  13. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just like to have the option to overly squish things for different tonal effect. Most of the time, if I do compress, it is to smooth out the sound as you do.
  14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Have to agree with that comment. Its a nice unit. Very subtle.

15. Anyone know where I can get that Aphex pedal in the UK pretty cheap??