Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compression volume ?!!?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Feb 17, 2006.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up

My Pedalworx McSqueeze came in and I definately love the sound it gives me.:smug:

the only thing i noticed was at practice when i turned on the mcsqueeze it made the sound louder. i had to adjust all my distortions because it made them more quiet (which I figured was from the compression).

at our show when i turned off my distortion i could barely hear myself, but when i turned off the compressor the signal went back to normal (louder) level. I have the level knob set at about 10 o'clock.

my signal chain is....

bass -> mcsqueeze-> sansamp -> USA big muff-> boss chorus-> boss delay-> amp

Do i have compression in the wrong spot??? or the wrong setting?

I cant figure this out. Can you?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I keep my limiter pedal at the end of my chain. That way when I overdrive, it doesn't get louder.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Having the compressor at the beginning of the effects chain will totally mess with your Big Muff. Fuzz pedals are extremely responsive to subtle changes in input volume AND impedance, so ideally you want the fuzz to be the first thing in your signal chain, right after the bass. That way you can control the fuzz by adjusting the volume knobs on your bass. Then if you want you can try putting the compressor at various points after the fuzz. I would suggest putting it either at the very end, if your delay use gets whacky with regenerations, or just before the delay, if your delay use is more controlled/subtle.

bass-> Muff-> Sansamp-> chorus-> McSqueeze-> delay
    (or switch the delay with the McSqueeze)

4. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    thanks guys you were a great help!!

I'll make sure to rearrange my board tomarrow before our show. I'll let you know how it goes :hyper: