Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grungtertl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    How important is compression and limiting?

2. For some people, compression is important...for others, not so much. For some people, limiting is important...for others, not so much.

For me. I prefer a limiter over a compressor, because I take pride in the fact that my technique and dynamics are all over the map. I like a brick wall limiter to kick in just before my speakers decide to implode. But I want 0 compression during my normal playing. I like the natural sustain (or lack thereof) of a ringing note.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not me. For now at least (two years of serious practice on bass), I'm a rock bassist, and a compression-whore. I smash everything; it lets me use how hard I pluck (sometimes pick) to modulate the tone of a note, while I still keep my place in the 'wall-of-sound' mix that our 3-piece band tries to put across (We use ten channels of compression before the sound comes out those speakers. Sometimes a couple de-essers also, plus one or two channels for the monitor mix - depending on whether we're using mono-wedges or stereo-headphones).

For now I simply use the Boss Compression Sustainer - full-time (Level=11:30; Tone=2:30; Attack=2:00; Sustain=11:00). I put this before a Boss ODB-3 distortion, which is usually run at very low gain (drive control pegged left).

Joe

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    This is the sound I go for these days as well. For years I eschewed compression, but nowadays I'm going for that aggressive wall-of-sound approach. At least with my rock stuff. If I do something a little mellower or jazzier I use less or no compression.