Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compression

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Oct 4, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Hi ...on my bass regardless how i have my tone set i still get a feeling and sound like my bass is being played through a compressor...ive Eqed my amp and everything...do you think its my amp or my pickup? the volume is fine just very compressy

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    How about telling us what kind of bass and amp you have, also in general how your EQ settings are and if there are any other devices are in the signal chain.

3. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Im ashamed to say this but its a conrad jazz bass with a single coil at the neck and im waiting for my bridge pickup in th mail and a peavy amp.....i have the mids and the highs pretty high about a little past half way and the bass is on half...and only the bass is on the signal chain

4. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/images/ubass2.jpg

My bass looks almost indenical to this minus the pickups and the pickguard look how close the neck pu is and how far the bridge pu is from the bridge

5. Just grasping at straws here, but I heard if the strings are too close to the pickup, the magnetic pole pieces can attract the strings and sort of damp them, might sound sort of compessed I suppose. Sounds like an urban legend, but only takes a few seconds with a screwdriver to lower the pickups to try it.

Randy

6. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    I was thinking that it could be too low...hmm my a-g strings are a little less compressed sounding the b defiantly does expecually when i turn the tone down also if i go anywhere from the 9th fret on it gets more and more hollow sounding

7. Try it, nothing to lose, maybe I'm remembering this backwards.

8. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Problem solved I switched the polarity and the pickup is now bright and nasial....and when on mid blend every wahish