Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Jul 9, 2001.

1. what should i look for in a good rackmound compression unit. I plan on using compression constantly on stage so I am looking for something other than a pedal. I have seen a lot of studio units but just want to know what are the key features/specs to look for to use it on my two basses (ampeg 4 string fretted and cort 5 string fretless). I also want to make sure its pretty quiet or else it will be useless to me.
  2. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    As far as compressors go, there are a lot of them out there. Alesis makes some nice units, such as the 3630 (?), which has 2 channels and a lot of features (hard/soft knee, noise gate, etc). Since they're being bought out by Numark, they are liquidating a lot of equipment, which may make it easy to buy one for less $. A great compressor for bass would IMO be a tube compressor such as the Tube Tech, but you'd be looking at~ $4K for some of those units.

Have you tried any?
  3. i havent been able to really try any yet because im not sure what i should be trying. I wasnt sure if just any compressor could handle all the frequencies of the bass and stuff like that.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just stay away from stompboxes, go for rackmount compressors.
    dbx, Behringer, Alesis and others offer decent compressors that aren't too expensive (meaning lower 3 digit numbers in $).

Since compressors are primarily studio effects, they have no problems handling bass signals.
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've played with an Alesis 3630 as well as the cheaper single channel Nanocompressor. Both are good solid compressors for the money. Waaaay better than any of the stomp boxes I tried but waaaay less money than the tube-fancy units.
  6. Why would you want to use a compressor?

(I don't know a thing about them)
  7. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    They are supposed to "even out" your signal. To put it simplistically, it'll make your loud signals softer and your softer signals louder but I'm sure there are more to it than that. Very useful if you slap your bass because of the peaks. It is vital for recording because the sudden peaks will play havoc with the recording. It is less vital for playing live on stage. I myself hardly use compression as I play mostly live and mostly finger-style.

Hope that helps.