Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flamer, Nov 29, 2002.

1. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    I'm having problems with my hartke 4000 head clipping at relatively low volumes. The head doesn't come with compression and i was wondering if theres such a thing as a compression pedal, and whether this would help?

thanks,
    phil.

2. Yes , there are compression pedals.. I havent used any other than the compression on my cheap digital fx pedal, which I'm happy with, but some one else could give you more info on good compression pedals.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What cabs are you using at what Impedance?
    Its probable that you are using non-very-efficient cabs.
    Preamp clipping is one thing and power clipping another, to avoid power amp clipping you need a limiter, but then again that reduces yout top volume and lets the rest free.
    The HA4000 is a very loud amp, check the manual first, too much mid cutting will also make you believe that the volume is low, due to human hearing compensation. YMMV

4. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    I am using an old laney 250w 15" and have just acquired a warwick 400w 211 pro which i haven't used as yet. Both run at 8ohms.
    The clip light comes on at volume setting 4 with both my basses. Can clipping damage the head, or just the speaker?
    so you wouldn't recommend compression or a limiter?

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ok... You see the clipping light.. but you hear it distorting?
    Little clipping is normal
    And about the volume at 4, thats normal, many people think that max volume with no clipping is near 10, thats completely false, I can clip my Carvin with the master volume at 2 having lots of EQ and an Active Bass, but then again the sound is terrible that way.

the D-Bass control uses a LOT of power, so you have to check that too.
    I highly recommend you try the head with the Warwick Cab, maybe you will see a great difference in volume.

Clipping will definitely destroy the speaker, and the head could be affected if it gets too hot, but normally the speaker is what gets destroyed.