1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor as attack even-outer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobbass4k, Oct 28, 2009.

1. I don't use my cherry pop all the time as it's so ridiculously high gain and sensitive, it responds to the slightest movement on the strings and sounds very uneven when chugging along on 8'th roots. Is there a specific compressor/compressor type that would normalise the attack/volume of the signal when placed at the front of the chain? I had a Trace SMX a while back and it didn't really do what I'm after

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
  3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    So you're considering buying a pedal, right?

What about, instead of taming that distortion with a new compressor, you instead find a different distortion?

I think something is lost when you have compression before dirt, because I really like to hear and feel the drive responding to my dynamics. And anyhow, many od/fuzzes will add some compression of their own.

Also, there's a possibility that this could be an opportunity for you to improve your technique. Even 8ths without a single pedal, into head phones, alternating fingers, is an important skill to produce. Or try using a pick.

4. I know I need a compressor, I'm looking for reccomendations for a specific one, as I know compressors behave in different ways, and it's quite a specific effect I'm looking for

As far as chaning goes, I already have dirt covered, got a dynamic OD and another silicon fuzz, but I love the sound of the cherry pop, and it works great for ringing notes or riffs, it's just on constant 8'th type lines, and it's definitley not my technique as cleanand my other drives sound fine

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd suggest trying the Demeter first. Not that it's the be-all and end-all, but one thing it does for sure is reins in big initial transient spikes.