1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compressor before pre amp or after??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimiLL, May 1, 2009.

1. When I was chillin with my gui**** some how it came up that I ran my compressor (DBX 1066) through my effects loop. He looked at me like I was crazy and said I should plug my bass into the compressor and then from the comp. to the input of my amp.

I looked at him like he was crazy, and explained that I run the compresser throught he to deal with unruly highs any clipping or distortion the amp may be making. He just shrugged and said ok.

So how many of you run your compressor through the effects loop??

2. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Compressor? Sorry don't use one.

3. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Well, I've been running my DBX 163 through the EFX loop of my SM-900. Not sure if I'm diggin this or not though. I may go Bass-Comp-Head and try that hmmm..

4. I've never tried it, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Running it through the FX loop would compress any effects you'd run through the front of the amp rather than just what comes before the comp in the FX chain.

I might have to try it and see... A bonus: it'd get my compressor off my board so I'd have room for another "real" effect! lol

Anyone else know why this would or wouldn't work?

5sg.

5. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI

Actually, I've done my last 2 gigs without it (DBX). There may be a 163x up for sale soon!:)

6. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Also, your FX loop is probably line level and the compressor is not designed for an instrument level input. A pedal compressor would be, but not a rackmount version.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    So why bother posting?

In any event, my incoming compressor will be my first venture into rackmounts, but it was my understanding that you run them at line level. But maybe I'm wrong.

laslen likes this.
  8. It all depends on what tone you want to achieve. You can change the response of most compressors by running an EQ or a preamp before them; I.E, you can get a dub tone by boosting bass into it, or you can get a clear, crisp tone by boosting the highs into it.

9. :eyebrow:

10. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    There is no definitive right or wrong.... I've used my DBX in front of my amp and in the FX loop.

I prefer it in the FX loop. It levels out my entire signal, which is mainly what I use it for.... slight compression.

11. And excane is dead on as well, you put the compressor wherever it sounds best to you, don't let others be the judge of your own gear and how it's arranged in your signal chain.

12. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Amen.

13. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Yes, best to go with your ear. With that said, I have run my multicomp in both fashions and have settled with the post eq effects loop - it seems to do best there.

14. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    I like to use a compressor to boost the highs and give it more volume, and I run it bass, comp, amp..... With some others in between, but not in my effects loop. I think it's preference?

15. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I”ve run a 160 between my F1x and pwr amp for years. I run it kinda like a limiter only set at 4:1. It keeps my amp from getting too big of spikes when I get happy fingers.

16. lol. I'm glad someone else had that response... I didn't want to post it first. A good compressor can be a bassist's best friend!

5sg.

17. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    Either can work well. However, you may want to compare both for any noise level difference. Depending on your amp, you may find there is more background noise (lower signal/noise ratio) when its running through the effects loop. I had an amp that did that once. Its the only unlikely yet possible problem i can think of... /shrug

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1

19. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

Because I felt like it. Why bother reading it?

20. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

What's a good compressor? Last one I tried (Boss) changed my tone. Willing to try a good one. It's funny that the same folks that jumped on me for saying I couldn't help because I don't use one are the same folks that are telling him to use his own ear and don't let someone else tell him what to use on his gear. Maybe he asked the question for a little reassurance one way or the other. And now that I've posted I can follow the thread for some good advise. So far my ear tells me I don't need one. But some really nice folks with some good knowledge might help educate me in that area.