1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

compressor clips?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Jun 30, 2007.

1. anyone got somewhere that i can listen to any kind of compressor in work against normal bass?

more easily explained: normal bass riff against bass riff with added compressor.

as i'm not entierly sure what a compressor even does

*is new to compressors obv.*

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    A compressor, in simplest terms, just boosts the volume of the quieter notes you play(playing softly) , and cuts the volume of the louder notes you play(when playing very forcefully) to create a more even overall volume, based on how much compression you use. most avoid using it with finger playing, and choose to use it with slap since there's so much dynamic variance that could result in an otherwise unpleasant volume fluctuation. using a compressor would just even out all the highs and lows to bring it closer to the same range, of volume that is. some don't like using compression because it takes away your dynamics if you purposly try to play at very different volumes and energy levels at different times (when needed). there's tons of threads about it. search around a bit and you should find something.

3. do they have clips? cause that was i was mainly interested in.

*will start searching anyway but would appriceate some replys about the clips*

4. Well having clip is pretty useless, a good compressor is not supposed to change the sound of your bass. A compressor is not an effect you add to your sound, it is really just a device used to even out the volume of your playing.

5. oh ok,

Thanks very much.

6. just one last thing, can anyone recomend a good quality compressor, not too expensive though.

7. I use a dbx 166XL, and I personally love it. It replaced an Alesis 3630, and IMO it buries the Alesis.

8. anything worth having in pedal form?

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Check out the links in Bongomania's signature. He has reviewed most of the more common compressors and explains how they work and why.
    Compression is used as an effect as well as for dynamic control. For instance, Tony Levin often uses compression as an audible effect. It makes for a tight punchy sound, like a really loud note inside a quieter note if that makes any sense. Like the gum that goes squirt. The clean lead guitar sound that is quite prevalent in country music employs heavy compression.

10. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, check the reviews AND the FAQ in my sig. There's another reason why clips would be useless: converting audio into MP3, WMA, or any other easy-to-download format removes so much audio data (through a different sort of compression) that any subtle differences in gain or tone would be obliterated. As stated, though, most compressors are designed to NOT change your sound at all, but rather adjust the peaks of your volume.

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    On a side note, I was wondering if anyone had some clips of true bypass. Or maybe a buffered bypass? Maybe some clips A/Bing Monster cables with a trashy cable. MONSTER RULES!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021