Compressor for a fat tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seanm, Sep 13, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    There have been lots and lots of compressor questions lately, and lots of feedback on transparent compressors or compressors with good punch, but not compressors for a fat tone.

I want notes that sound like balloons: big round and fat. What compressor would you use? Or, maybe a compressor is not the right effect. Maybe a Bass Xciter would be better?

Or maybe my technique just sucks? Let's hear what you have to say.
  2. For me, round and fat is better obtained by EQ (lots of mids and low mids, roll off the highs), a tube amp, and fairly dead strings than it is by compression.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Preamp/EQ pedal?

Sansamp GT2 :)
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup - You're talking about the Aphex Bass Exciter!

The Big Bottom section IS (among other things) a low-frequency compressor of some sort.

FAT tone; yes in-deedy!

5. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i have to say that a good bass is more important that good pedals or amp for the roundness.... (without counting technic, which cant be bought)
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    In my case, I have something-like a $300 bass that I bought for $150, used. Now I've spent the same amount that I did for the bass on the Aphex Bass Xciter pedal (I've put more than $150-worth of STRINGS on the thing since I got it!). Would I have better sound if I were to instead trade-in my bass, plus the extra hundred-fifty, for a better bass?

I dunno - the Xciter REALLY transformed my sound (that, and T.I. Jazz Flats!).

I think I have pretty good technique too...

(Bytheway: I DO realize that I absolutely need a backup bass, and it's shameful for me to be playing-out as a pro without one! Even if it's another $150 Peavey - which I LOVE the feel of - I need to quit foolin' around here, and get a BACKUP!!)

But anyway...

7. I've been gigging for over 35 years and I have NEVER had a back-up bass nor, touch wood, have I ever needed one. :D ;) :D ;)
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like nobody is recommending a compressor.
  9. Tried dbx 160a last weekend and it really fattened up my sound. Put it between svp-pro pre QSC power amp. I have demeter opto compulator but it is slightly different beast -> more punch. Try dbx 160 for fat sound.
  10. fatin things up?

electro harmonix black finger tube compressor
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, I say Aphex Bass Xciter AND the Punch Factory compressor, which I tried together for the first time last week. Talk about HUGE!

But for what you're looking for, the Bass Xciter is probably the better place to start. It's an amazing pedal, which is nearly impossible to describe, but I'll be darned if it doesn't work as advertised. I'm not sure I like the idea of a pedal becoming a "crutch" for tone, but this thing could become addictive.
  12. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Can someone please explain to me how a compressor can make my tone "punchy"? Better yet... I have an opto-compulator... how do I have to set it to get punchy tone?
  13. Compulator makes my tone more punchy because it won`t take off my attacks but still makes my overall sound more even and balanced. It just sounds more aggressive and louder. When used, my bass cuts much better through. Cannot explain it better. My setting are compression 10:00, and volume 1:30
  14. Well.. actually I would. Just check it out; a compressor will remove the raw edges of your sound. And if you want a big and fat tone, it will work.

Just go and check some compressors out (including the el cheapo) and there might be one that is good for you.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Huh?! No, Dude - You're right on track; I never play without one! And now, like I said before - I run TWO COMPRESSORS IN-A-ROW now; first a CS-3 for overall-compression, then Aphex Big Bottom, which is a low-freq-only compressor. Talk about FAT - That's why I do it!

I'm not kidding you: At the last horn-band practice I ran THREE compressors - the two mentioned above, AND a cheap rack-mount compressor/gate in my 700RBII effects loop!

I wanna be called "Fat Man".

16. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005 mean people bring a backup :confused: ;)
  17. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I'm using a Guyatone BL-2 compressor in front of my amp. There is some serious tonal colouration going on here, and when set wrongly, it will pump like a....pump. When set properly (and it has a very sensitive threshold control) it really fattens up my Jazz.

When I need even more growl and bottom end, I stomp on the Xotic AC Booster. It even works really well at "growling" up the tone on its own.
  18. Bassvox

Feb 11, 2011
    Naas, Ireland
    I've been using the EBS Multi-Comp for a couple of years now, never had any complaints, really sweetens tone for those who prefer a more bottom-end sound, kills boom whilst retaining the fat punchy low-end.

Definitely better than it's Boss counterpart, with a good range of sounds to boot, with some nice prestets in the manual.

Plus, it really is a solid piece of kit, i've dropped it various distances over the years and no problems, and it even had a pint of guinness poured onto it onstage one night, I think it liked it...........

'Tubeism' may not be a real word, but it certainly has meaning for anyone who's ever had the pleasure....

EBS Sweden AB - Professional Bass Equipment

Used with Musicman and Gallien-Krueger things at either end.
  19. chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    +100 for the EBS. That thing has the juju. From the second I plugged in and played 1 note... I had to have one.