Compressor for Ashdown

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Anyone use a comp with their ashdown? If so, which one, what do you like about it, etc?
  2. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004

I'm running an Ashdown MAG300 (with a Steinberger XT25) - and just bought an Aphex Punch Factory.
    Tried it at rehearsal last night for the first time - and I'm really impressed.
    Firstly, I can't detect any change to my tone when it's plugged in, so no 'tone sucking'.
    It evens out the variations between strings (my B string is much louder, expecially up around the 12-14 fret), and smooths out my playing.

The only downside (and this may be down to me needing to experiment with the setings more) is that the compressor prevents me getting extra volume by playing really hard (and so I had to keep adjusting the volume on my amp, whereas before I could just play louder if the band volume rose), maybe I'm over compressing and need to reduce it slightly?
    Alternatively, I'll need to look at getting a volume pedal to go after the Aphex so that I can raise the volume slightly when necessary.
    Also, I was finding it hard to play softly (but we don't have much call for that! :D ) - again I'm thinking I may need to back off the compression slightly.

Anyway, I can thoroughly recomend the Aphex - superb compressor (and a nice bright orange colour :cool: )

3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm using a ABM 300 1x10 combo and a mini 4x8 and I use the ebs multicomp, sounds great.
  4. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Using MAG30H / MAG 4x10"

Bought an Aphex Punch Factory some time ago and planning to keep it on my board so far :)

It's very simple to use: 2 knops, one for volume and one for compression. The name of the pedal is exactly what it does: PUNCH, it gives you this heavy "oomph" sound and helps you(well at least me) controlling the tone a lot.

I had a look at DBX166, the rack compressor, but never really got to try it, but I think it's really great aswell :)

Hope this helps a bit.