1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor for Rocco-style 16ths plus pops?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesslari, Feb 23, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've never used a compressor, except when an engineer or producer puts one on me in the studio (which IIRC was fairly typical).
    Now that the modern world has us (me) doing more self-recording, I need to learn more about how this works.

I'm working on a song that calls for a Rocco-type 16th note groove. There are a couple of accents that seem to want to be popped, but although I can keep my 16th's at a pretty consistent level, those pops jump out a bit more than I want.

This sounds like a job for .... COMPRESSOR!
    Do I have that right? Appropriate application?

If so, reccomendations? From BongoMania's extensive reviews the Demeter seems like a decent bet... But if I missed something that has a bit more bang for the buck, that'd be cool.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For that job I'd recommend something that can actually do a bit of limiting rather than (or in addition to) gentle compression. The Demeter, the Maxon CP9 Pro+ (review coming tomorrow probably), and the modded Boss CS-3 are probably the first ones I'd recommend. Limiting is a tougher job than general compression IMO, it's harder to get good results on a budget.

If you're willing to gamble a bit, the Aphex 661 and 651 (tube and non-tube) are better than nearly anything else for this task, and they can sometimes go for cheapish on Ebay- but be careful of the seller, as many of those Aphex units were pulled from heavy use and are now out of spec. Buy from a seller who assures of clean functionality.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Thanks, O Great Compressed One!
    appreciate the tips.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    looking forward to your take on that, I want to add that to my board!