1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor for tapping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by G0rilla, Apr 12, 2010.

1. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Making ears bleed since 1989
    Hello folks.

Here is my problem. I started to play many parts with tapping in my band, including some solos, but i just cant play loud enough to actually be heard normally.
    I cant turn up my overall volume, because then i will be too loud, and playing softer will kill my tone.
    And i am using transistor amp, so i can forget about that tube amp compression.
    So, what i need, is either a volume boost, or compressor. I tried both with my Boss ME50B, and found that it also plays more easy and accurate when compression is on.

I tried few compressors at my local shops (MXR Dyna Comp/Super Comp, Boss CS-3, EH Soul Preacher), and i really liked the EHX and Boss products, but, they both are very noisy. I can actually buy one of them and give it to my electronics guru (he can do magic to pedals), but i just want to search the market first.
    As some of you may thought, i need mild-to-heavy compression. So no transparent ones, i am not going to use compressor as people usually do. Also the size might be factor, as i dont have that many space on my board left. Price range - up to 200$.
    Also recomenndations on some d.i.y. choices would be nice.

2. I like the Aphex Punch Factory. Also, I hear the new Aguilar Compressor is good.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The Maxon CP9 pro works for me.

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I would suggest a light OD. A decent one set to the edge of breakup should act somewhat similar to tube amp compression and it'll add a nice bit of warmth.

IME tapped notes will sing a bit better with my Ibanez Mostortion (from the TS stable, but with a para EQ) set just shy of distortion than with my BBE Opto Stomp at the appropriate compression. I also heartily recommend BBE as it certainly gets the job done.

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'd look at either the Rothwell Love Squeeze or the Aguilar TLC. Of course, if you want to do a little research...

http://www.ovnilab.com

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I tap on my EBS multicomp all the time, and have never even dented it :D

Seriously, it's a great compressor that will do what you need without sounding like an effect.

7. rockambo

rockambo

Apr 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I couldn't help thinking that this pedal would somehow fix your problem. The gate function on it makes the instrument completely quiet until it's engaged. I have no idea how it would sound on the bass. The video, at least, is impressive: http://media1.zvex.com/FLASH/BOM/bom_strat/

8. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    A few more things that I think you might want to consider, other than compressing:

Firstly, some basses are far more responsive to tapping than others. Tapping's almost the same as any hammer-on, but mostly played on the higher frets. Some bolt-on basses are just bad at responding to notes tapped near the neck joint, for example. Bright sounding basses and through-neck basses make a good starting point. If your bass is soft/round sounding when played high on the neck, it's possibly not a good starting point for a satisfying tapping performance.

Secondly, your EQ can make a big difference. If you happen to be cutting mids, or have a bass that's mid-shy, your high notes will generally be quiet (since the 'meat' of a bass's high notes is mid range). If you tap high notes and they're quiet, this could be part of the problem.

Finally, having a fairly low action and fairly new roundwound strings makes a big difference for me when I want to tap. If your action is high, too much of your strength is spent pushing the string towards the frets, and not enough is left over to transfer momentum to the string and make a sound.

So .... if you've already covered all of this, by all means get a compressor and enjoy it. If not, I'd suggest looking into the compressor only after you've sorted this stuff out, so you don't have to worry about extreme compression adding hiss or killing your dynamics.

9. julieslick

julieslick

May 19, 2008
    endorsing artist¬ólakland+gk+d'addario+eventide+pigtronix+digitech
    Keeley!

10. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    I already covered all what you mentioned, except my bass is bolt on. Actually it sounds very good on any place on the neck, and yes, i can say it responds good. Tone is based around midrange, starting with wood combination and ending with extreme eq settings. Action is low, and i can say more - they are pretty loose, as i am using 50-110 set with BF#BE tuning.

I think the problem is in fingers, i am playing with tapping only 2-3 months. Probably, i dont have that attack yet.

Anyway, thanks for answers, i will try to test all of your mentioned compressors, though i dont know where i could get my hands on some (Keeley, Aguilar).

11. Progtastic

Progtastic

Mar 8, 2010
    Dallas
    Definitely check out the Aguilar. I got one a couple weeks back and it works wonders. No alteration in tone at all, it does what it's designed for.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In Latvia, do you mostly order gear from Thomann.de, or do you have other stores/suppliers that carry good-quality pedals?

13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I actually use my Boss CE-5 to help with tapping. It seems to somewhat act like a compressor in that it levels out the volume and attack of my notes and it seems to add some sustain and depth. Really cool pedal, IMHO. I`ll never get rid of that pedal or my DD-5.

14. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    We have some good shops in our capital city Riga, and i am good friend with one of them - i get nice discounts, sometimes picks for free :D
    But the product range is very small, mostly popular brands, no boutique products at all. Also the economical situation gives impression on product range - mostly relatively cheap brands, so it is also problem if you want to try something that is not cheap, you have to lurk around forums to find some guy who has it - almost impossible to find something in shop.

We do have Boss, Dunlop/MXR, Morley, EBS, EHX (mostly older ones, i know one shop where you can find all those big vintage pedals in stock, but for shame, prices are big too) some Ibanez, Tech21, Digitech, and ofcourse, Behringer/Dimavery and such.

About ordering, yes, most people order from thomann.de or other similiar shops, mostly german. But personally i choose eBay or Tonefactor. Also, i am traveling around pretty often, so i can check out many things that we dont have in shops. But sometimes i just order basing on good reviews and sounds i can hear from demos - no mistakes yet :)

So, all in all situation with boutique and rare pedals is sad around here. I know that i am only owner of Subdecay Prometheus and EH DMB in Latvia, and second guy who have Boss PS-3 :D Mostly beacause people dont bother about good sound and sometimes visiting a club where live bands play can end with serious ear damage. But we do have some great bands, that have potential, and i guess would be very popular if they would come from US or western Europe.

15. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    i've had the demeter, the ebs multicomp, the barge RC-3 (ross clone) to name a few...

my favourite BY FAR is the maxon CP-9pro+

for the amount of money you pay, you wouldn't believe that it could possibly be worth every cent.

that thing also has enough gain to be used as a boost, if so needed.

i recently sold mine ONLY because i'm no longer using a compressor in my chain. if i were to use one again it would only be the maxon, unless i could find something tube-based with little or no noise.

but if you are on a budget, the barge RC-3 is awesome value

16. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Ok, so now candidates are EBS, Maxon, and Aguilar. Or CS-3/Soul Preacher and mods mods mods. I hope i can figure this out untill next gig...