1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor Help: Dual Band or Dual Engine?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the explode man, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Bongo!!

So I'm between the Dual Band Optical Compressor-Limiter and the Dual Engine Compressor Limiter from FEA Labs.

Here's my story: currently, I'm running a Markbass Compressore. It's a good compressor. However, I play in a metal band with our music focused around a Low B. Also, I have a finger-style which could be described as "aggro-finger-tap-slapper". Yeah, I use a lot of heavy-handed technique. The problem is, I find the tuning combined with the play-style from what I want from compression is just not working with the Compressore. I can set it nicely to limit, but if it gets driven hard, it really does not perform well. In addition, this does not afford me the appropriate use of the compression side of things for when I use a lighter touch in sections. That is, my slap volume and my regular finger-style volume are fairly disparate.

So, my thought process is that with the Dual Band, I can crush the peaks on the low B stuff, and then I can use the other band to bring up the rest of my levels. From what I understand of the Dual Engine, I could do a similar thing with overall hard peak limiting, and then setting compression to taste outside of that.

Are there any Bongomanias or other users out there that could help me with a little guidance on this? Would either of these pedals help me out, or is there another direction I should be looking?

Link to a song for reference: http://windycityslaughterband.bandcamp.com/

Thanks!

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    If you're happy with the Compressore for finger style just add a limiter for slap. It sounds to me like you'd be better off with a comp and a limiter than with a dual band compressor.

3. Thanks. I had also considered this, but was leery for a couple of reasons: I'd like it to be always on (which I guess both pedals could be); and I'd like it to be quiet in operation. I'm afraid that running a limiter first might add some noise that'll get amplified by the compression.

4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    From my experience with the FEA DE-CL, you really couldn't go wrong with either pedal.

5. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I'm in the same consideration mode, though sadly have no money to buy either.

The way you describe your playing is very close to the way I describe mine. My problem is when I kick on a filter and fuzz (not often, but often enough for concern) my high-mids peak out like mad. So I figure either compressor would work for me, although I'm leaning towards the DE-CL for the end of the pedal chain.

Thing is, I've got it my head that I should control the high band and low band separately starting from the first effect in the chain, though this would necessitate reacquiring the 2Channel Mixer (which I wouldn't mind, just couldn't afford anytime soon either).

So IDK. If I could recommend one, I'd say go with the DE-CL and see if it caters to your needs. If not, sell it or trade up for the Dual Band.

I know Frank offers a trial period, so if you have the duckets, get both and return the one that fits your needs the least. I just think that the Dual Band requires a broader pedal board setup. But that's not a bad thing, just a 'more to think about' thing.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you get either, and what you think of it. I'm curious how you'd end up using them since they are both on my wish list and we have such similar bass technique/interest.

6. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I used EBS Multicomp (dualband comp) until recently, and I believe it does just what you need.
    I used boutique jazz bass with boosted bass, and had very unequal response going from low to high notes, specialy on louder PA. Multicomp smoothed out difference very nicely.
    Lower and higher frequences each have a trashold knob to finetune, but I found that default setting does it for me. Read review at ovnilabs.com

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately the problem of switching between loud/aggro and soft/moderate playing is one of the biggest challenges for any compressor. There is almost no way to do it so that it sounds "just right" on both styles/levels of play.

The very best results I've gotten for this problem were with the G-Lab BC-1, which allows you to toggle between different settings. You dial one set of knobs for the moderate/soft playing, and the other set of knobs for the loud/aggro playing, and you just foot-switch between them when going between those styles.

The same thing can be achieved with any comp just by adding a second comp, but you have to stomp one off and the other on, which could be inconvenient mid-song.

If you are not into those options, then yes the dual-band systems and FEA's DECL are good compromises. Either one can work equally well, as long as you understand exactly which compromises are in place. E.g. the dual-band systems will help with the problem of different frequency ranges getting over/under compressed, but they won't do anything about the difference between softer and louder playing; and the dual-engine one allows you to kick on the limiter during aggro playing, but it doesn't do anything about the different frequency ranges.

I guess my order of preference for this specific problem might go:
    G-Lab --> DECL --> DBCL --> EBS

8. That is my feeling too. Not that I can slap myself out of wet paper bag.

Even a simple volume pedal toggled in front of everything might make your current compressor effective.

9. Thanks for the help everyone!

Wow, I never looked into the G-Lab before! That thing is intense. My band plays to a click from a computer and we use Midi, so I might consider that pedal as I could have my patches changed automatically by the computer during the set.

Interesting. Now I'm going to have to sit down and think whether I want to get into that, or get the DE-CL. Too bad the wait lists for FEA are so long.