1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

compressor hook up confusion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jasperok, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jasperok

jasperok

Mar 11, 2008
    Hey folks,
    I have an oppurtunity to get the following comp really cheap
    elysia xpressor 19"
    I'd love to give it a whirl with my ampeg svt IIp preamp but here's the thing -
    I would like to use the line level mains out of my ampeg as the single xlr line out hasn't got half the great sound.
    So two questions -
    1)can I run a line level input into this compressor (how)
    and
    2)does this compressor have the output juice to drive my Power amp.

I realize it leans more towards studio gear but its such a good price and I love the way they sound it would be a shame to pass up.

thanks a million

2. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

never heard of this brand. seems pretty full featured.

You can run the pre-amp out into the comp input using an unbalanced 1/4" cable, (standard instrument cable).
    The output from the comp should go into the power-amp in jack on the ampeg. You can also use a standard instrument cable here.

3. jasperok

jasperok

Mar 11, 2008
    Thanks
    My Chain is
    Bass
    Ampeg SVT IIp Rack Preamp
    QSC RMX 850 Power Amplifier

So its safe to run the line level main L + R out of the AMPEG into the inputs of the Elysia with standard instrument cable?
    Funny as i thought they (elysia comp) were designed for Mic level so I didn't think it would be this straight forward.
    And again standard instrument cable out of the elysia into the QSC?

Sounds Easy -

4. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

there was nothing in the manual linked in your OP that indicates the input level, so I assumed line level.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are very few comps that can operate at "mic level". The vast majority need a stronger signal--and with rackmount ones, the vast majority want line level, like the output of the Ampeg preamp.

The reason the XLR out of the Ampeg "hasn't got half the sound" is precisely because that output is mic level, meant to plug into the mic preamp input of a mixer.

Preamp main output --> rack comp --> power amp.

Be sure not to confuse the jack type (XLR vs 1/4") with the signal level--they are not related ideas.