Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor ... I went and done it.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 11, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I finally went and kyped the dbx 1066 out of my PA, and plugged it into my bass rig. Just what I needed ... more knobs. I futzed around with it for an hour or so, and I think I've got it set so it sounds decent. Here's what I've got set on it:

Since I first posted this, I've done a little research, and have refined some of the settings based on what I read. There is really a wide range of recommended settings for these things. Also, most people give the attack and release settings as times in milliseconds. The 1066 has them in dB/msec and dB/sec, respectively. The new settings are in red.

Compressor section:
    Threshold: -15 dB -20 dB.
    Ratio: 3:1 6:1.
    Attack: 0.2 dB/msec 2 dB/msec.
    Release: 20 dB/sec 50 dB/sec.

Expander/Gate section:
    Threshold: -40 dB -35 dB.
    Ratio: 2.5:1 3:1.

Peak Limiter section:
    Threshold: 15 dB 12 dB.

Over Easy is off, Contour is on.

OK, all you compression afficionados, where should I adjust this setup? I wondering if I should speed up the attack. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

2. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmm ... now I'm thinking. I feel weird about having a perfectly good channel two compressor sitting there, useless. Perhaps that rig would look and function better with a ... WT-800 down in the bottom. Then I could run my D-410XLT off one side and compress it one way, and plug the D-210XLT and D-115XL in the other side and compress it differently. Now we're COOKin'.

3. heheh.. i've got the same situation.. i've got a dual-channel compressor and a mono amp.. :)

so my lead singer uses the other channel now :)

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Some two channel compressors allow you to link the two channels together. That way you can have two "stages" of compression.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, the 1066 will do a link, but I don't think you can feed one with the other. Channel Two just adopts the settings of Channel One.

6. I just picked up the same Behringer unit as Allodox; very happy with the performance, but I know how you feel. It's like dating twins but only one of them gives out.....;)

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Y'know, Blg O, I was looking for a metaphor, and that's it! Thanks.