Compressor in the MESA/Boogie M-Pulse amps any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Javy, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I'm shopping for, among other things, a head and compressor to go with my new Stingray5. (The ole Nemesis 210 combo just doesn't do this bass justice!) I figure that I can better justify an expensive head like the MESA/Boogie M-Pulse 360 or M-Pulse 600 if the built-in compressor is truly decent and useable, which is not the case with a lot of built-in compressors. If the M-Pulse compressor is really good, I obviously wouldn't have to spend extra on a separate compressor. Anybody have experience with this amp's compressor?

One other thing on the subject of M-Pulse amps (and the smaller Walkabout): My understanding is that the M-Pulse amps and Walkabout lean toward the fatter, beefier side of the tone spectrum, sort of like Eden or Ampeg. Is that correct? I don't care for the super-clean hi-fi sound like SWR and EA are known for. (No offense to SWR and EA fans.) Can you get a fat, beefy sound out of these MESA heads, or should I look elsewhere?
  2. ninefoldbass

ninefoldbass Guest

Feb 26, 2003
    i used the walkabout before, with a schecter active bass.. thru a hartke 410.. it was AMAZING.. i didnt even eq it the first time.. just left it how it was.. and it sounded great.. wow.. as far as the comp.. i dont remember but if it sucked.. i would've remembered.. i'd buy one definatly
  3. I dont know itf this will help, but i have an M-2000 and its compressor is awesome! Its not a typical, as i adjust the center frequency that i want the compressor to limit from. but it is very well designed for a bassplayer.

As far as tone, these things can be clean, but tend to be happier in the grittier, thicker, spongier side of the spectrum. Go try one, SR5's will be plentiful at most MB dealers.

Best 'o luck to ya