1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor Input Light..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by durdentk, Mar 7, 2008.

1. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Hey guys , I am just wondering if its doing any harm or bad if my input gauge on my compressor is in the red sometimes? Thanks!

2. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Don't know the answer, but you might want to say which compressor you have.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    First- no harm is possible with clipping any compressor (as long as we're talking about a normal audio signal input).
    Second- yes, when asking any kind of technical question, always state which specific gear you're using.
    Third- the input gauges on every device "mean" something different. "Red" may be good or bad, or variable depending on how long you're in the red zone, or what sound you're after.

4. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Hey guys sorry about that. The compressor I am using is the bbe maxcom and the amp im using is the mesa 400+.

5. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Im just wondering what the red means on this comrpessor.

6. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
  7. Related question - have a Super RH and following the wise advice I've read in here, figured I should get a compressor to (a) provide limiting and (b) shape the tone a little. I've read the manual, but have "no clue" how to hook it up. Balanced? Through the unbalanced "effects loop" in the back? XLR or mono 1/4" ? Anyone have a similar set up?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Use the fx loop, the Maxcom is designed for both balanced and unbalanced connections. Use an unbalanced cable, as (a) the short cable length means there will be no issue with noise/hum, and (b) it's bad to mix balanced connections with unbalanced ones. Set your fx loop blend to 100% wet.

FWIW though, with a combo amp a pedal may be more convenient to use than a rack unit; and a pedal would go betwen your bass and the amp's main input.

9. Thanks very much - guess it's counterintuitive to me (as I don't know a clue about FX) why the pedal is better than using the effects loop..? The other question being that I figured I needed a limiter (more than a compressor if I understand the disctinction between the two) to avoid clipping the Redhead's power amp.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Check out the FAQ linked in my sig, for answers to all that and more. Also what I meant before was not that using a pedal would be "better than" using the effects loop, but that with most combo amps there's noplace to put a rack unit. But as I look closer at the pic of the Super RH, I see you have an extra rackspace there, so never mind- rack away!

As far as clipping the power amp, there's no critical distinction between clipping any of the stages of the amp- input, EQ/processing, or power section. But I suppose if you use "extreme" EQ settings in the preamp section, it might make a difference to put the limiter between that and the power section.

11. Got it..reading through the articles now. I understand some of the theory, but of course hate to either spend money to get a worse sound, or (worse) blow something up. Pedal might be better - not invasive, and if it doesn't work out, eBay. Great references; thanks very much. Apparently clipping (and thereby creating the square waveform and eventually ruining the PAS speakers in the SWR SR) is a major issue for most folks, I'm primarily trying to avoid that. I think!?