Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compressor - it's time to choose

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Aug 31, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Hi Everyone,

I've read most of the posts regarding the use of a compressor for bass......I've still got a couple of questions:

1) Does it matter if (or not) a compressor is designed and sold for specific use with a bass, or are all compressors usable as a bass effect? I read a lot about the dbx 166xl's and165's, etc., but see no bass designation in the name.

2) One of my problems with my '66 Jazz is that when I eq it to get more volumn in the high range, it's too bright. Will a compressor even our my volumn across the tone range, or will it just even out the overall volumn?

Any other input will be greatly appreciated as I'm getting ready to make the purchase.......

Tony Noriega, Tampa

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i love my dbx166xl.

two channels(tho i never use the second one) but yeah, its made for use with everything, but everyone i know who has one, is a bass player.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i love my dbx266xl, it's built great, and sounds incredible.

4. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    YOU CAN DO WHAT'S CALLED SIDECHAIN. ITS WHEN YOU RUN YOUR COMPRESSOR ALONG WITH AN EQ. YOU CAN THEN ADJUST THE FREQUENCIES YOU WANT TO COMPRESS.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    1. Yes all comps.

2. However, a multiband comp like the new Digitech pedal or the old TE will allow you to apply different ratios to the lows and the highs, giving you the control you said you need.